Big Epp

Jerkbait action

The funny thing with fisherman grading action like he did it’s mostly personal preference. Personally I believe different variations in actions shine more under different conditions and with different species 

with jerk baits the way to angler works the lure and the rod/line set up varies the action two

personally for pike I prefer jerk baits with an erratic action on the jerk and a slow rise over back up on the pause. For brown trout I prefer a tighter action on the jerk and a almost motionless suspend on the pause. Just a personal preference for the two species for example 

• Like 2

It does give an idea on some proven jerk bait actions 

I think a lot of people overlook jerk baits and focus on baits like cranks they can just retrieve in stead. Personally I enjoy lures that I add a lot to the action by how I retrieve them 

personally I like jerk baits that can be worked both fast and extremely slow are ideal. Ones that give off a lot of action with short jerks and rises or sinks really slow 

a lipped jerk bait design is on my to do list along with a perfecting a hybrid pull bait I am happy with. A soft tail jerk bait has been an option floating in my head too

• Like 2

Interesting video. I think I had the wrong idea about jerk baits, but I have never used one or built one.

The video does demonstrate how the swim angle is relative to the retrieval speed, and backs up the argument that every lipped lure has a hunting speed, but this is just a side note.

It looks like the most erratic action occurs when the lip is vertical, this too makes sense, as it is in this lip attitude that the hunt occurs.

I guess it is nice for the lure to 'spring back' to horizontal, and for the lure to have a nice movement on a steady retrieve, but I think that these are small bonus features to the main event.

Dave

• Like 3

I agree that it was an interesting video, and I think I may try several of my best producing commercially available stick baits in a pool someday myself.  I agree also that best is in the mind of the fisherman and that fish often have a different idea.

I use several of those baits myself and find that in many cases the best bait in the AM is not the best jerk in the mid day or PM.  I just don't experience that one jerk action is "always" better than another.

Still, my mind is open to paying more attention to the specifics of the jerk action on a given day.

• Like 2