Hillbilly voodoo

Pull bait line tie location

I just finished my master for a curly tail pull bait and trying to decide on a tie point location 

This will be a resin bait

it will be a front heavy sinking bait using a combination of pure resin/lead bird shot poured into the drop belly location in the head. The rest of the body will be poured with a floating mix of resin/micro balloons. The goal is to have it so I can rest the lure on the bottom resting on its nose with the tail floating up so it gives almost a feeding look

hook locations one at the back edge of the eye and the other in the drop section in the tail 

debating on a tie point in the tip of the nose which will be good when jerking.twitching the bait on faster retrieves

or on top of the nose which would be better for slower retrieves hoping it a long. May get a slight wiggle do to the forehead but likely only on a hard rip

Just can’t decide 

012E2B86-6685-4BBD-B2D0-ACD210B2D9C0.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UKandy said:

Have you watched this bud, may give you an idea for testing your bait out.

Good video and I have been using adjustable testing methods for crankbaits/plugs for a long time. Even with my recent resin glider I poured probably a dozen different resin/micro balloon combination to decide what action I preferred 

I am a firm believer in prototypes before finishing 

In the case of this pull bait I know what to expect with each tie point location. It is more a matter of what direction to go

The experimental part will be the resin recipe to achieve the fall rate/angle I want 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stretcher66 said:

definatly the top side. if its nose heavy , having a tie on the tip or under the nose can cause line abbrasions if you are hopping it along rocks.

Agree a much better option for working it low and slow

wife wants to toss it in near the tail race of the dam rear the house so top of the nose is how it’s being molded :yay:

A good wife is priceless in this game.

I showed Tessa a video of a hunting lure being exercised in the apartment swimming pool. She didn't seem impressed, remaining silent. I played it again and then asked her thoughts. She replied, "Why you put fish in swimming pool, it will die and make water dirty"!

Best confirmation of a realistic action ever :)

Dave

• Haha 3

I worked pretty good and actually has a nice side to side on the twitch before it does a nose dive. Ended up with 16 smaller walleye/pike and lost one pike in the mid teens beside the kayak. Had the drag too tight and he hit right next to the kayak 

only took pics of the first pike and walleye because none were anything special 

4DACD0E8-3D8D-44DC-85BB-588AF0F03521.jpeg

8AC0F4A6-4864-40D6-BE24-40447EEC78F2.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Outlaw4 said:

very cool. always fun to get a few on something new. if fish eat them you are usually onto something.

The fish are the most important critics

I always look at multiple things for a successful test.

How often does it fowl? because it doesn’t matter how well catches fish if it’s tangled 90% of the time 

how are the fish hitting it? If your getting poor hook ups and light bites it needs adjust 

And most important does it produce as well or better then other lures proven effective in that body of water. Really who wants to toss a meh lure all day when there is better options 

This design is showing promise. The fish were Tboneing it hard with good hook ups. I threw another one of my go to’s for this lake and it didn’t produce as well as the new design. Finally very little fowling 

now to see if it can produce the results in other locations or if it just had a good day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

The fish are the most important critics

I always look at multiple things for a successful test.

How often does it fowl? because it doesn’t matter how well catches fish if it’s tangled 90% of the time 

how are the fish hitting it? If your getting poor hook ups and light bites it needs adjust 

And most important does it produce as well or better then other lures proven effective in that body of water. Really who wants to toss a meh lure all day when there is better options 

This design is showing promise. The fish were Tboneing it hard with good hook ups. I threw another one of my go to’s for this lake and it didn’t produce as well as the new design. Finally very little fowling 

now to see if it can produce the results in other locations or if it just had a good day

Which grub are you using for the tail?

7 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Which grub are you using for the tail?

It’s a bass pro brand 6inch musky grub. 

It was the only large curly tail I could find to test it out. I plan to test some other options too but so far this one works and holds up well. I want to try a wider but still long curly tail

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

It’s a bass pro brand 6inch musky grub. 

It was the only large curly tail I could find to test it out. I plan to test some other options too but so far this one works and holds up well. I want to try a wider but still long curly tail

Thanks.