aulrich

Has anyone tried the smaller sized of the do-it paddletail shad mold

I use an external wire rig,

A football jig head, split ringed to a  55lb titanium wire with a hook and a pin  also on the head is a screw lock.

After the strike the pin pulls out of the body an the body generally stays out of the mouth increasing the life of the body exponentially. I have has numerous internally rigged storm baits wrecked after one fish even one destroyed after one bite did  not even hook the fish.

I am working on an idea for a purpose built head where the screw lock is cast in along with a two line ties 90 and 45 for casting or vertical jigging.

IMG_2205.JPG

Baitsaver.JPG

I do need a sprue extender for the 6" bait, but not really long  I just use a 1/2" copper coupler and just enough pipe to bottom out in the sprue 1/8" or so more. I am not sure if that would work in the 5" bait since there are two cavities, it my have to be bigger. even mine should be 1/4-3/8" longer I still top up the sprue after shooting it, I should have it so I don't have to backtrack but I am too lazy to bother. 

I find the 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8  works for most of my fishing. But I did find a head on aliexpress that would be perfect. a line tie a dropper loop and a screw lock all in one unit. I have not ordered it yet so I can't really say if it is good enough.

• Like 1