ravenlures

Drilling hole for eyes on a round tapered lure

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Clamp it in a jig to hold it level and steady. Drill a small pilot hole straight through the lure so both sides match. After that bore out whatever eye socket you choose 

I hold my lures in a wooden clamp like these, and do what Hillbilly says to do:  https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-Tools-Fastening-Tools-Clamps-Vises-Clamps/Wood/N-5yc1vZc266Z1z0vir2

I try to remember to drill my through pilot hole while the bland is still rectangular, but this is what I use when it's already been shaped.  Even if my though hole winds up not being exactly where I want the eyes, I can easily move the same distance from the initial hole to drill my eye holes in the right location on each side.

Edited by mark poulson

Location is not the problem, the problem is getting equal on all sides on a round lure which also has a slight taper towards the tail. Not easy I want the hole to be even so to place a eye in there. I have been thinking of painting my own eye but not that good at that but I just might try it.

Wayne

There is one thing that would work but only worth while if you are doing this often 

make half a silicone mold to hold the blank perfectly and use a drill press after. When I mentioned jig it can anything to hold it stable and level. I built a cradle to hold salmon to do this years ago out of wood even

In all honesty I have been successful just marking the lure using calipers and using a cordless drill. But if does run a high risk of going wrong