Ryan V

Color shift paint

I've been wanting to try color shift paints for awhile. Anyone use them or recommend what kind to get?

Any tips and tricks with them would be great too. I know the color you spray them over makes a big difference in how they show up or how well they shift colors.

I didn't want your post to go un-noticed.  But I have not used color shift paints.

When I checked them out, it appeared that the colors shifted in such a way that my details would clash with one of the two shift colors.  I decided not to use it, but perhaps, if it was a detail and not the main color????

Let us know if you have any luck with this.

• Like 1

Base color has everything to do with the end effect.  I have a bunch of colorshift powders.  You can mix them with a transparent base, clear top coat, or brush them on.  As for where you get them, there are a ton of different vendors out there.  I recently purchased a bunch off of an etsy store, amazon, ebay, dipyourcar, custompaintingpearls are all viable options.  In my experience, you get the most dramatic effects over a black base but some of the lighter powders also a do a great job adding a subtle shift when over white, white pearl or other lighter shades.  You just have to do some experimenting to find what you want.

• Like 2

I use Folkart colorshift paints all the time. They make three colors, Green / gold; Blue / violet; and Red / violet. I had my doubts about them at first, but the pigments are very fine and spray well once reduced. A little goes a long way - so apply it with a fine head. 

I have about 6 patterns that center on one or more of these. But they are also very useful for highlights. I use them on smelt, shiners, blue back herring, etc.

I feel these shifting colors create confusion in predators, using up some of their discretionary brain power. "Eat it quick - before it does that again and I lose it!"

Hi guys. I am very interested in colorshift paints too. I recently received a set from green stuff world and it looks great. All the reviews are great etc. My problem is that it really blocks my brush and it's not even a very fine one (0.5mm). I've tried reducing and didn't really help. It seems to sort of gum up into clumps. The youtube reviews did not seem to have this problem and some even sprayed straight from the bottle. Do you think I just have an old batch or something? My next step is to try straining it somehow, if anyone has any good suggestions. I will try and find some stockings I think.

Any paint with a pearl, metallic or color-shift pigment has a greater chance of clogging. I reduce mine quite a bit an spray it at low pressure. You really don't need a lot of it to make a big difference - at least the way I use it. The size of the powder pigment may not be fine enough in that brand. I have had no problems with the folkart. 

Pearls tend to clump sooner than other paints (like transparent, opaque, detail). Don't thin your paints in advance then store them - esp pearls. They do weird thing in the bottle.

One thing you may try is a little retarder mixed in with the paint. 

Edited by Chuck Young
  • Like 1