BTL

Foaming resin

The last few times I went to pour baits (Alumilite RC3) I noticed the resin was expanding in the mold, and afterward when I dropped the baits in the water, they floated, instead of sinking like they used to. From what I've read, this is foaming due to humidity. I'm pouring indoors but I guess it's still a factor.

I spent months getting my ballast and microballoon ratio exactly where I wanted it for a steady sink with a nice wobble. Now it looks like I have to start over again and change the formula based on the time of year. This is making me want to get away from resin altogether. Is this right, or is there a way to achieve consistent results without constantly tinkering and wasting material based on ambient humidity? 

It does sound like somehow you got moisture in the mix.  I played around some time ago with putting a few drops of water into Alumilite White to see how it would work to reduce density and it did exactly what you are talking about now.  

I love resin but I don't live in a high humidity area.  Do you?

• Thanks 1

I like to do my painting and pouring in the winter months and turning wood in the summer. I poured some resin in a very humid basement and it blew out and resin was breakable up in hand, winter is best for me. The White does not seem effected as much as the other resins.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

It does sound like somehow you got moisture in the mix.  I played around some time ago with putting a few drops of water into Alumilite White to see how it would work to reduce density and it did exactly what you are talking about now.  

I love resin but I don't live in a high humidity area.  Do you?

I am in Virginia, a fairly high humidity area. This wasn't a problem at all during the winter and early Spring though. At first I thought it may be because I was using the last remnants from an older batch of resin, but then I opened up a new package and had the exact same foamy results with the new stuff. So I think it has to be humidity rather than moisture in the bottles. 

I have some white too, I may try that next to see if it behaves any differently.