Volp1

Jelutong

Jelutong has always been the choice and signature of legendary lure engineer, designer, manufacturer, etc., Lee Sisson, not to mention a popular choice for legendary TU lure designer LaPala. For most of us it is an exotic, difficult to obtain wood with some unique properties, compared to our hobby or home-store varieties.

Dean :D

Jelutong has always been the choice and signature of legendary lure engineer' date=' designer, manufacturer, etc., Lee Sisson, not to mention a popular choice for [b']legendary TU lure designer LaPala[/b]. For most of us it is an exotic, difficult to obtain wood with some unique properties, compared to our hobby or home-store varieties.

Dean :D

:oops: Since when did I became legendary :?::?::?::!:

I've always thought to become legendary you have to be DEAD first :!: :?: I refuse to be legendary; cause I plan to be around for many years to come & thinking of all the fishes that might miss biting my lures how can I disappoint them. :)

BTW, :twisted: here's some figures on Jelutong to make you guys drool a little bit more (it certainly is stronger than balsa albiet a tad less bouyant at 24-29lb/cu.ft compare to 16-20lb/cu.ft of hard balsa)

Static Bending (Modulus of Elasticity): 8,100 N/mm?

(Modulus of Rupture): 50 N/mm?

Compression Strength (Perpendicular to grain): 2.65 N/mm?

(Parallel to grain): 27.00 N/mm?

Shear Strength: 5.80 N/mm?

Nailing properties: Excellent (meaning it'll hold a screw eye very well :))

Finish: smooth (LaPala note: it can be sand to fresh peeled hard boil egg smoothness if you so incline)

Data from Lee et al, 1979; The Strength Properties of Malaysian Timbers, Mal. For. Trade Leaflet No.34 (Revised Edition)

No LaPala, You're confusings legendary with saintly. To become a saint you must first be dead. Even should you encounter the worst misfortune, I have a feeling you won't be nominated for Sainthood :lol: . However, one can become a legend in one' own time, or even a niche legend such as on the TU boards (or in one's own mind). And, as far as I know, Lee Sisson is alive and well also.

Thanks for the wood stats; you've obviously answered your own question about jelutong: nearly as light as balsa, but is much stronger.

:D Dean

[/i]

If I can be a saint then all nice TU members are angels :D Still finding it hard to accept the legend thing, after all I've only been around (here) for a while :oops: Maybe a legendary lure nut suits me better :); I'm still learning.

BTW you're welcome to the info, better share then let it gather dust on my shelves :). I still like to see what others say about Jelutong though.