Bassnbenny

Where are the old timers?

I joined tu back in 2004. Been away since 2008. Have the old craftsmen left or have they passed? I'm talking about real gentlemen like Lincoya, Skeeter Husky and Lapala. 

Those guys had incredible knowledge about tackle crafting. I hope they are still with us on this board

Cheers

Bassnbenny

On 6/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, Bassnbenny said:

I joined tu back in 2004. Been away since 2008. Have the old craftsmen left or have they passed? I'm talking about real gentlemen like Lincoya, Skeeter Husky and Lapala. 

Those guys had incredible knowledge about tackle crafting. I hope they are still with us on this board

Cheers

Bassnbenny

Some still drop in and read over some posts, some are active, others likely have moved on.  At one time I think most were much more active in regards to keeping in touch.  For several years a few hours every night were spent in chat rooms discussing lure making and about everything else under the sun. 

I do remember those chats. Very much enjoyed everyone's humor, knowledge and just good fellowship and comradery.  I'm sure some has passed though. They definitely put a lot of energy and testing of new techniques for all of us homebrews to benefit from. 

Anyway, thank yall for posting and I am glad to make it back to the brotherhood. 

Swede is the only one I know for sure that has passed.  I would imagine a few others may but several of the guys where younger (30-45 age) so unlikely age caught up with them.  Some of the guys would definitely be in that age range where easily could have passed however.

I posted on an old site that predated this one called "Luremaking.com " around 2001 as Megabass and most of those old guys mentioned were on there .  If memory serves me correctly the luremaking.com site shut down after the Administrator lost interest and most if not all of those members came over to a new fledgling sight started up by a member who posted as " redg8r "   .

There is still a remnant from that original luremaking.com site that migrated here on Tackleunderground in the "Soft plastic cookbook "   . There is a few color recipes I posted under Megabass around 2002 .

We are still around. I used to post under the name SpoRoller, mostly in the Hard Baits forum. Most are still around and just swing on by for a quick read without logging in, like I do. I walked away from building and custom painting for a while but was pulled out of retirement by a few of the old guys. Some are on Facebook now in various groups, still talking baits and building a few when we have time.

I’m still here occasionally. Still make baits sometimes from raw wood to finished lure. I do not do repaints or paint pre-made blanks. I’m my opinion, that’s not luremaking so I just don’t do it. The old timers here are true bait makers and, though there are some truly talented bait painters here, it just ain’t the same. 

Still pop in here and there lol. Miss the old platform. Chatting at all hours of the night. Definitely learned alot being able to talk threw my ideas and talk threw others ideas. A lot of new innovation from this group. Life gets busy. Running a business takes a lot of your time. Hands are shit from heavy construction lifting 250 lb concrete forms for 4 years pays good but cost you later in life. So quit and start your own dream. Change is scary but makes you grow. Good luck to the brave! Still make my lures but I had to start buying some. Loose more than I make haha!

• Like 1