Senkosam

Some more hybrid or modified soft plastics proven to catch different fish species

Just can't help myself. I the weather is uncooperative, I'm down in the basement with the candle and soldering iron making new and unique designs. The challenge is finding new lure actions that incite the strike. When we fish various lures, hard or soft, we take note (or should) of a lure's actions we see beneath us in the water. Those that consistently catch fish may have actions that are obvious, some not so much. Take the Kut Tail Worm for example by Gary Yamamoto. Rigged on a light 1/32 oz jig with a #2 hook, the action is incredible as it whips from side to side mid-depth. The plastic he uses is unique, pretty much what he uses to make the Senko and the worm/stick is tapered from front to back. No other worm has that action nor can be used as a mid-depth jerk worm.

The Kut Tail Worm:

YSXzFUH.jpg.d5f468ba0e9990dcb02db2aba6008269.jpg

Sometimes a lure's fish-catching action is not obvious but still catches fish via it's shape/ size/ speed and type of retrieve (presentation). It doesn't take much for a lure to affect a fish's senses - especially fish that are irritable to begin with, but isn't that what makes fish strike - stimuli sensed by the lateral line, confirmed by sight and the ear as to a lure's vulnerability coupled with an annoying confusion (?) what that weird object is doing trespassing in its space? Better yet is when the lure turns on the school resulting in one fish after another.

Modified lures that catch fish are proof that fish don't and can't think about what a lure might represent. Most important is that the lure evokes a temper tantrum resulting in an attack of the mysterious object - sometimes multiple attacks by the same fish.

The nice thing about soft plastics is the infinite lure designs you and I can discover that catch fish - many that are far better than those sold. Here some that have done well since I posted last:

The French Fry stick that hasn't been to successful (at least not for me), turned out to be valuable when cut into segments and attached to various tail shapes. The original:

bUvoARx.png

The Claw:

ym1s8qH (1).jpgzgsyodZ.jpg1181453670_perchclaw.png.879d9f0a65c89899d591c601f9c6886d.png

Note: crappie, bass and perch 

Straight flat tail:

Ht8Dafh.jpg

Curl tail added:

50o7Lfy.jpgavDre4c.jpg.c64f6216b55d322e23a6654621f0d09b.jpg

Joker tail with Fr Fry:

5X4s1wh.jpgVci5y7E.jpgKeKsZRF.png.2f08da66eaa76b7d5529b71a32832832.png

So why the all-flat sided body? I've used Mr Twister Grubs for decades never once wondering why curl tail grub bodies were always round. Granted they caught fish, but since when were they the only shape? Course when you thing about it, many fish have flat sides and present larger profiles when seen laterally in the water. In any case, no more round grub shapes for me! (unless tail shape calls for it)

Another hybrid design I call the Club Tail :

SCcFviQ.jpg.55336b89eab7be6ab186f39b3e3803f3.jpgiGDBYGB.jpg.7123a208d280290e614dd35043beb176.jpgM9SvG6M.jpg.38d39e6d6b305c2848462d3fe78b3d44.jpg

Notice the almost clear tail and species : white perch, crappie and sunfish.

You might wonder what kind of action from nothing more than a chubby mini-stick-no-tail. It waddles with rod tip twitches and catches everything! Reminds me of the waddle of the Zara Spook waddling back and forth on the surface except now subsurface.

Remember one thing: the above lures each have unique actions and all catch fish in all likelihood due to action and shape. All are rigged on light ball head jigs 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz. and hook sizes to match lure body length such that the hook comes out half way or a bit less. 8# test braid line and light action - medium action rods are used.

Can't delete these two photos from this spot.

ger2DGi.jpg

curl tail.jpg

Edited by Senkosam