Big Epp

Wire type and thickness

hey all, I recently started twisting inline spinners. I've been doing smaller ones (size 2 or 3 blades) and have had good success using .032" wire. Its the king that comes in a spool (2lbs!) And springs back into place, annealed I think. I'll try and drop a picture in the gallery. 

I've also got some .062" lock wire I use to make twist eyes for muskie lures.  It is much more bendable than what I've been using for bass spinners.  Would it work for twisting bucktails for pike/muskie? What type and diameter wire do you prefer for that application?

Thanks!

First, the source and material.  I just by the shafts with one end closed and the other I close with my wire bender.  https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Looped-End-Wire-Shafts

As for diameter, I use a micrometer (analog or digital) and measure spinners that are close to what I want to make.  I think you will find that there is quite a range.  For example, Rooster Tail used a much thinner wire than any other spinner of that size, but when the bend, and the bend often, they are useful only to cut apart for materials.

For material, I don't worry about it when I buy the premade shafts.  If you buy the coils from the same company, like lurepartsonline.com, it will be the right stuff.  For whatever it is worth, it is spring stainless steel.

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Stainless-Steel-Wire-coils

To me, diameter of wire is not that critical.  If you have a large enough, but not too large, clevis you can use a range of wire sizes.  I find that .062 wire is a bit large for most bass lures, but I use it for Muskie/pike spinners a lot.  But, as you mentioned, bendability is an issue.  If it bends, but springs back to shape, great, use it.  If it bends, but takes a set and has to be re-bent back into shape, you will not enjoy it much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I buy little coils of stainless steel orthodontic wire

50g / 1.76oz each. Diameters range from

.5mm / 0.0196" or 1/64"

.6mm, .7mm, .8mm, .9mm, 1mm / .0393" or 3/64" 

you can also find 1.5mm / .059 or 1/16"

.5mm might be between 30 to 40 feet. For $2.50 CAD all totaled delivered for each one.

When using small diameter wire, I had a problem with the holes of a clevis being to large and making the whole clevis sit off-center on a thin diameter wire. To much wobble or never being lined up right to begin with. A clevis with holes just slightly larger then the wire seems best.

• Like 1