Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasenfool

cutting lexan

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I'm a newbie here so I am sure that this has been answered already but....how can I cut Lexan lips without any welding occurring. The Lexan that I am dealing with is only 1/16" and 1/8" but so far I have created quite the bone pile with my attempts. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Make sure you leave the covering on the lexan sheet while cutting. Most people here use a bandsaw or scroll saw. I use a pair of industrial shears and cut mine by hand (scared of the scroll saw).

There is a tutorial in the How-To, Hard Bait section on

making your own lips. In this tutorial, the subject of

cutting and shaping is covered.

Coley

a belt or spindle sander is almost a must.....for this...although I prefer a band saw for cutting....it pulls in one direction in stead of getting the jumpin effect out of a jig saw. The sander is the best for detail work

benton B Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you leave the covering on the lexan sheet while cutting. Most people here use a bandsaw or scroll saw. I use a pair of industrial shears and cut mine by hand

I really like the way benton B is cutting his lips. I have a couple of his baits and I really liked how the lips were cut.

I really like the way benton B is cutting his lips. I have a couple of his baits and I really liked how the lips were cut.

What makes them different from other lips? Is it the shape, or are they just clean cuts with the shears?

Benton, got a pic or a link for your shears?

You guys probably didn't even know I read this forum huh B)

Woodsac, I got the shears at Home Depot, in a combo pack. The reason I use them is I hate cutting lexan on my scroll saw ( I like all of my fingers). The trick to the clean edge is a large flat bastard file and a small

2nd cut mill file.