mossman

Wood working question

Hey Fellers, I've been making good lures for quite some time now thanks to lots of advise from many of you's. Lately I've been tinkerin' with making deer calls. I've figured out the soundboard and the reed...sounds great, buck to fawn. But now I need the tube to mount them in. What tools are used to make a wooden tube? I know a lathe will do the outside work, but what about the hollow interior. I would like to use hardwood for this project. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would try a long shank forstner bit. These bits drill perfectly round holes. I probably spelled it wrong, but if you go to a Good hardware shop they will know what you are asking for. The head on these baits look like a wheel with blades on them. It does not look like a standard bit. Go to www.harborfreight.com and do a search for it. It will bring up a picture of them.

Skeeter

Skeeter's right use a forstner bit (and BTW you had the spelling right Skeeter), but I would add the use of a pair of V blocks to hold your wooden tube.

Place the cylinder between the V blocks, and clamp the assembly together. This wil hold your work more securely when you drill. Let me know if you're not familiar with V blocks and I'll elaborate.