fabiopike

gliders, deep waters and currents...

Hi guys,

first time for me on this very intresting forum, linked to me by Riverman,

I am a fanatic pike hunter from Italy, the extremely southern frontier of the european pike fishing.

that's my first question:

While I know jerkbaits are best used mainly on lakes, and in quite shallow waters , I have the need to fish'em deep (18/22 ft) and in a moderate current, near deep holes, deep weed lines, and drop offs.

I have tried different shapes, and different weighting distributions, but at the moment none of my gliders do what I want.

They all tend to "came up" after a couple of turns of the handle.

The Manta jerkbait from Riverrun, (probably due to the angle of the head-cut and for the back lip), is the only one that seems to "keep the Bottom" more than others.

Do you have any suggestion about building something that will fit this situation?

thank in advance

fabio

Welcome Fabio!

As you know, gliders "glide" because of the way they are weighted. Equally important, however, is the way the bait is retrieved...short bumps of the rod tip while crankin in line. This retrieve will in itself encourage the bait to rise because the angler is constantly "bumping and cranking" the bait back toward the surface. Think about the bait as it drops in the water, the angle increases the further it drops so any pull on the line above it will make it want to come back up. However, I do think you can make a glider stay quite deep by increasing the weight of the lure. I generally weight my baits so they sink slowly but I'm confident they will still glide with additional weight. If you haven't already give this a try, leave the weight in the same location but add more of it. I will add tho that gliders tend to have some problems when you start talking about current. My baits will still glide in a moderate current but anything more than that and they start wanting to only glide one direction...the downstream direction. After all that rambling I would think a different type of bait would be better suited for the fishing conditions you have described...how about a 1/2 or 3/4 oz Hot Lips Crank, or a minnow bait on a downrigger or diver?

Regards,

Jed

You are talking about some thing everyone is trying to do. If you read what every glide lure will say, ?count down.? This will only work if you are working up a break line. Because as soon as you start working them they will raise, it don?t mater how much weight you have in it. The only baits that will do what you are talking about are round type pull/jerk baits. Like Fudally?s Reef Hawg or Llungen?s Jerko or Squirko. They are round with a mouth. The Reef Hawg is not made to be a glide lure but some do real well and catch nice fish. You also have to add weight to them so you can fish that deep. The Jerko and Squirko on the other hand were made to have the glide action. Both Reef Hawgs and Jerko/Squirko look the same but one is wood and one is plastic. The biggest thing that sets them apart is the way you work them. Glide baits you work with short tap of the rod tip and these you use long hard pulls of the rod.

I hope this helps.

-Corey

I am a glide bait junkie and I also happen to fish rivers a ton. It sounds to me like you are weighting your lure in only one spot (the pivot point). To make a lure that won't pop to the surface you have to equally distribute the weight across the whole bottom of the lure . A good example would be to look at the previous posts and find the x-ray of the Hughes River "Shaker" that someone posted. It takes more time, but it is the best way that I know of to make a glide bait do what you are looking for. I am not knocking other weighting techniques here. They all work well for different applications and the some people prefer a lure to rise and fall or break the surface.

Thanks Guys for all the interesting replies.

R.man, I normally troll with deep diver crankbaits quite succesfully, expecially with monstershads from Bagley, Grandmas; but also with spinnerbaits and jigs too. The fact is that I am conviced that I CAN make a glider able to work at this depth, and I will do it. Too much times trolling isn't enough to trigger a pike, casting a jerkbait where nobody else do it, could put the smile on my face in more than one occasion.

But it harder than it seems in the beginning.

I am weightin' my gliders in two points, close to the head, and to the tail.

I tried various sinking style and rate of sinking: head first, tail first, orizontal fall, and whatever was possible to do with my tools.

It seems to me that the one that is "close" to work correctly, is the one that sinks a bit head-first. But it is the one that also requires a fast retrive (obviously), and for my experience, the slower you work a glider the more pikes bite it.

All I have to do, (easy eh?!)

is to find a weighting balance, that allows me to work the bait as slower as I can, with all the lead I could put it in. At this point I think that the point of wiew of Ckarren is correct. It is also a big question of shape.

I will try with a round nose, also if I like very much the "ammabama" shape that I am using, and also if I never built a round nose so...

teach meeee!

:D

sorry for my bad english and

thank you all,

fabio

southernpiker

I've never built a glider but maybe this tidbit might help you:

Look at: http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4063 the jointed lure I made, the top portion is actually flat & concave a bit, it's actually there to help the lure dive & the extra surface on top does that in addition to providing extra surface area of resistance when the lure wants to float up. Maybe U can incoperate that into ur lure to force it not to rise so much. Good luck with your experiments :) & let us know the results.

sorry but,

due to your unbelievable bait, I don't think anything else than ... "I have to be more patient ...I have to be more patient ... I have to be more patient... "...

kidding a part, I am seriously thinking that I must change shape to go deeper (and to stay there).

maybe something with a more flat head...

maybe a solefish???

:lol::lol::lol:

sorry for my english again,

thank you,

fabio