Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
perchbustersd

Does any one else make ice lures?

10 posts in this topic

Never Ice fished but Ive painted a bunch of the jigs . I like painting them .

[/img]

It's been many years since I've ice fished, but I do make the spoons, mostly nickel plated, soldered to a hook. I use them jigging for panfish in the summer. I will sometimes add a little glow in the dark paint, and a marabou dressed trailer hook. Crappies & perch love them, even when there's no ice!

Occasionally I'll get an order for ice flies, but last order was a few years ago.

I ice fish 'cause I'm too crazy to quit when the water freezes. I do make jigs and spoons too. I like the one you've used as an avitar pic.

I make the molds myself. I carved several styles from wood. The plan was to make a prototype lure and then make a more durable mold from that. So far I've been happy with the wooden molds, I can usually get 50- 100 lures from the mold before it cracks, or burns out. For my own use this has been satisfactory. I plan to get some better molds made after the fishing season slows down :wink: .

You can see some of my spinners, in the gallery, or even my avatar was made this way, but I haven't done any photos of my jigs and spoons yet.

I make a big swim jig for casting and jigging, and a big snootie type jighead for river fishing. Also a shad spoon (slab), that wiggles like crazy with a single hook bucktail attached with a spit ring.

Hi there,

If you are serious about making ice jigs find a centrifugical spincasting company that has stock molds.They can spin you thousands of jigs in a days time.Pretty cheaply to.

I used to own a company that did this.

See ya

Scott

You mean lakes freeze? :lol: Sorry has to be a S/A in every crowd. But I did see some ice around thge banks last year.