KYBuilder

Method Correct?

I am pretty new at applying all of the sealer, paints, and primers. I just want to run by you veterans out there if I have the process right:

1. Use Etex sealer

2. Apply Painter's Touch White Primer

3. I am going to use a spray paint probably from Painter's Touch

4. Apply Devcon 2 ton sealer

Will this work with balsa wood, if you have other suggestions please let me know, I am new at this!

Hey Ky, I could be wrong here.... But IMHO... I dont neccesarily think you need the EXTRA Beginning step of applying the E-Tex or the Devcon to your lure as a sealer. Even if it is Balsa wood. The Painters Touch Sandable Primer is my first step to the lure, not the E-Tex or Devcon.. and I apply at least 2 coats. I sand between each coat, paint on top of that and seal with either the Devcon or the E-Tex ( Your Choice!). Personally speaking, If you apply at least 2 REAL GOOD layers of the Devcon as I do..... I think your Golden as a complete sealer. I have been so far.... But I havent had the opportunity to try the E-Tex yet. The Painters Touch is a Base Coat, a base coat is just that, a coating for the paints to adhere too. I basicly use mine 2 fold though... also as a sealer! :D Cody

Hey KY, if you want the best possible bait made from balsa, then you

need to seal it with Devcon 2T.

Devcon 2T on the bare balsa will really add a lot of strength

to the wood.

If your balsa is very hard you might get away using another

type of sealer.

Do this test yourself.

Make a bait sealing the bare wood with Devcon 2T,

and make a bait using something else.

After both baits are finished, hold the bait between your

thumb and index finger and squeeze.

You will feel the flex and the softness in the bait not

sealed with Devcon 2T.

This applies to balsa only, hardwood baits donot need

Devcon 2T as a sealer.

Coley

KYBuilder:

Sounds like to be politically correct around here' date='your going to have to coat the front half with e-tex and the back half with Devcon :lol:

Or would that be the front half with Devcon and the back half with e-tex :?: :wink:[/quote']

Anyone who knows anything knows you coat the right side with Etex and the left with Devcon! :rolleyes::wink:

If you want to know the best method, just ask Skeeter and Chip. 8O:lol:

You don't want your sealer to soak deep into the wood. It seals the pores and takes away the woods' bouyancy.

Skeeter

Why seal any bait then? Am I missing something? How would the buoyancy of the bait be different? The amount that would soak INTO a bait would not be that extensive anyway. Please explain...

Doesn't topcoating with D2T or ET seal everything anyway?

out2llunge,

You are correct, in my opinion you really don't need to seal the wood. I apply a light coat of poly wiped on with a rag for the two simple reasons:

1. It does give the balsa some stiffness so that you can work with the darn thing without denting it.

2. For hardwood and balsa it just seals up the pore alittle so that when you apply paint it does not soak down into the wood later.

Have you ever shot a coat of paint over wood and it looks covered.... You go back later and you can see the wood through the paint again? The poly helps to keep this from happening. Once you put your clearcoat on the bait (DEVCON!!!!!) then the bait will be sealed from water if you do it correctly. I don't want anything to seep way down into the wood. It closes off everything. I promise you that it will effect the bouyancy. Especially hardwoods.

Skeeter