FishBooger

Stripping questions

I got a hold of an old hughes river glider that is nicked & scratched through the clearcoat. Someone tried to patch it up and it looks rather ugly. I want to strip and repaint it, would a dremel tool work off the clearcoat? I know, I know a sand blaster but I dont have access to a sand blaster - I have a dremel tool. Any other suggestions for stripping? After I strip the top coat, should I leave it hang and dry for a few days? Asking since the top coat basically had this hole to the wood. Lastly if I strip & repaint this lure (or any lure), does that mean the lure losses it value?

Afer buying this lure and checking it out I must say I am a little disappointed with the situation I got myself in here. I could have built this glider easily minus the pretty paint job. It leaves me feeling like this should to be the last lure I buy. When newly painted it probably looked real nice. And that might be why people are willing to pay a pretty penny for these lures.

Thanks for any input

My suggestion would be to get a good chemical paint stripper such as "Dad's" (available at your local Wal-mart). Follow the directions on the container. The paint will just bubble up and you can wipe it off with a rag. Let the lure dry, lightly sand it, and you're ready to repaint.

Gene

I understand the dilemna you are in my friend. I had someone send me a Hughes River and asked that I refinish it for him. Well when I got the bait it looked like brand new, he just didn't like the color. I wrote him back and said I didn't want to tackle it..looked like way too much work to me!

But, since you have the bait now you may as well have at it! Lincoya is probably right suggesting the chemical stipper but I would probably go after it with a belt sander because I hate chemical stripper, nasty stuff. If you choose to sand it......once you get down through the clear coat slow down and go easy. After you are to the paint you might even switch to sand paper. If nothing else, tear the bait apart, make some notes, draw out the shape, weight placement, etc. All of this info will help you as a builder in the future and will likely repay you for the cost of the lure many times over.

Good luck and best wishes.

jed