Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jig Man

Spoon dressing

4 posts in this topic

I am leaving next week for a lake in Arkansas which has stripers in it. I made up some spoons this week so I can give them a try while I am down there. I can't decide whether or not to dress the hooks and if I do, what colors to use for stripers.

DSC00558.jpg

One option: white chicken feathers: 3 feathers, each tied with thread between the hook barbs so they flare outward, then coat the threads with a little nail polish or superglue. A flyfishing fly vise is nice for this but any bench vise will suffice. The feathers give the spoon a larger profile and a different action. Sometimes they like it. But often, a plain spoon does better for me. I think the feathers change the flutter of the spoon - not always for the better. White and silver spoons are my favorite colors. I keep a couple of feathered hooks in my box and change out the plain treble if/when needed. Good fishing!

If the water is murky, bright colors are the ticket. If the water is clear try and match the hatch. Size is a factor when matching the hatch. Some times big baits mean big fish.