Polycarbonate Lips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TackleTester

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:11 PM

Hey, got a question. If I decide to cut my own lips, do I drill the eye straight into the wood of the crank or is there a way to attach the eye to the lip itself. Also, can I get Lexan from a hardware store or do I have to order it. Thanks a lot

Catch em up

#2 Coley

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:39 PM

Check the tutorial in the How-To section on
making your own lips.

I doubt a hardware store has it.

Check with your local glass repair shops.

#3 IslandBass

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

I've searched high and low at both Lowes and Home Depot and neither carried Polycarbonate under the Lexan name.

I do know that you can purchase Lexan from this link:

I would like to know where others that make their own lips get their lexan. Perhaps this would be a great item to purchase from TU too!

#4 Lincoya

TU Swap Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

The Home Depot that we have here sells Lexan but 1/8-inch is the thinnest that they carry.

#5 Growler

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:37 PM

Look for a sign supply store in your area. Those that stock plastic for making store signage will likely have it.

#6 mitcheal

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:24 PM

Lexan is only one tradename for polycarb, there are a number of manufacturers. I get mine from a local guy here in MI that makes things like dispaly cases, fancy photo frames, signs, etc, . I buy his small left over stock for about .90 per sq. ft. in 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" thicknesses. These are approximate as they are actually sold in millimeters. He has a small, 3 man shop and is happy to sell the stuff. After giving him a few lures, he doesn't even measure the stock anymore just says, "give me a coupla bucks". I searched all over for awhile and heard about this guy from another lure builder. He is practically in my neighborhood, less than 3 miles away.

#7 benton B

benton B

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

Mcmaster-carr sells polycarbonate 12"x24" for approx 2.50 plus shipping.