Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TackleTester

Polycarbonate Lips

7 posts in this topic

Hey, got a question. If I decide to cut my own lips, do I drill the eye straight into the wood of the crank or is there a way to attach the eye to the lip itself. Also, can I get Lexan from a hardware store or do I have to order it. Thanks a lot

Catch em up

Brian

Check the tutorial in the How-To section on

making your own lips.

I doubt a hardware store has it.

Check with your local glass repair shops.

Coley

I've searched high and low at both Lowes and Home Depot and neither carried Polycarbonate under the Lexan name.

I do know that you can purchase Lexan from this link:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/crankbaits/lexan_sheets_.htm

I would like to know where others that make their own lips get their lexan. Perhaps this would be a great item to purchase from TU too!

--IslandBass

The Home Depot that we have here sells Lexan but 1/8-inch is the thinnest that they carry.

Lexan is only one tradename for polycarb, there are a number of manufacturers. I get mine from a local guy here in MI that makes things like dispaly cases, fancy photo frames, signs, etc, . I buy his small left over stock for about .90 per sq. ft. in 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" thicknesses. These are approximate as they are actually sold in millimeters. He has a small, 3 man shop and is happy to sell the stuff. After giving him a few lures, he doesn't even measure the stock anymore just says, "give me a coupla bucks". I searched all over for awhile and heard about this guy from another lure builder. He is practically in my neighborhood, less than 3 miles away.

Mitcheal