jigflipper

Scale pattern frustrations......

I would still have to classify myself as a "rookie" in this world of custom lures, but "lovin' every minute of it"!!! (I just posted a pic of some of my early airbrush efforts) One frustration I've been having is getting a good scale effect when I paint. I've followed Funny Farms tutorial, but I can't quite get that good, clear scale look. Where does everyone get the netting/material that you use? What I've got is a very fine mesh, and I think that may be part of the problem. Any and all advice would be appreciated! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

dont fret jigflipper,

scale patterns look easy, but take a lil practice, id suggest finding some scrap that resembles a bait & practicing with various netting.

Ive found a few items that make good scales, the trick is using the right netting for the size of baits your painting.

smaller baits look good scaled with a fabric called "Tule" my wife had tons left over from making her wedding veil.

for large baits something like a potato sack works, look around your house, you'll likely find something, an old jerzee, laundry sack.

Janns Netcraft & Stamina both sell scale pattern material, but its either Tule or micromesh (sports Jerzee) material, marked up.

good luck

Jigflipper,

There are so many different things you can use for this pattern. I use some netting that I first got from Jan's. Most of the time I like the larger pattern. I understand that there is all sorts of material at Wal Mart to use.

One thing that I think is important is to get the material that you use as close to the bait as possible.

I may do this different than most but I use 3M spray Mount artist's adhesive and spray the material lightly and let it dry a little. You just want it a little stickey. You must make sure that the paint on your bait is completely dry. I use a hair dryer to set the paint if I did not let it set for a while.

I then lay the netting on the bait making sure that it is lightly stuck to the bait so when you spray the netting no paint will get under it and you will get nice clean lines. By the time I set the air brush down I carefully peal the netting off and then turn the bait over and stick it to the other side. The scale material will be stickey enouth to do several biats. It it is not give it another light spray. After I have done both sides I spray down the back with the same color or sometimes I use a stripe down it such as if the sides are light yellow and scales are green and then the stripe might be bronze.

This way works for me and is quick. I am careful when I pull the netting off and can only think of a couple of times that I had a problem and that was when I sprayed the scales too hevey and they were still wet. I use water base paints and the hair dryer really sets them in for me. The key for me is not to get too much paint on the scales.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Mitchell AKA Boyhowdy

OK, here is what you do. Get your netting and get one of those rings that women use to hold needle point when they do it. Put your netting in the ring and tighten it down. Cut off the excess around the edges. Now just lay the lure up against the netting and spray. Works great.... especially on flat baits.

Skeeter

I used mosquito netting for my scales patterns,all you have to do is use a big enough piece so it covers one side of the lure allowing you to grab the tag end on the other side and pull in in tight enough so it wont move .You can only spray one side at a time ,but i have never had a problem getting a good finish doing it this way regardless of the bodies shape

I wash all my netting in the washing machine with a load of laundry , it makes it softer and easier to work with . When the netting has a bunch of paint on it I wash it by hand in the sink with some mild soap and it will clean the loose paint off of it and also "season" it back to being very soft and form fitting . Also you will find once the netting is "seasoned" it will conform better at the bottom of the lure and almost stick to itself . When I use my worn netting i dont use any clamps just wrap it around and hold it with my hand and it does well . I added a few pics i just took . Yes you paint your hand also but that kinda fun . I think the biggest problem is taking the clamps off of the netting with out disturbing the paint . Also the angle you spray the paint at can be a neat effect also . I have some big netting that I can do a neat carp scale effect with , I wil post some pics if you want to see it .

PS reds wife has the tule left over from HIS dress 8O

tn_net_003.jpg

tn_net_002.jpg

tn_net_001.jpg

tn_net_003.jpg

tn_net_002.jpg

tn_net_001.jpg

tn_net_003.jpg

tn_net_002.jpg

tn_net_001.jpg

tn_net_003.jpg

tn_net_002.jpg