LaPala

I want to learn fish carving... any resources

Planning to go the extreme route on some lures I'll be making next. So do you guys know any resources I can find. Going to a fish carving class is not a choice for me as there are none over here.

I'd like to learn anything and everything; book, video instructions, web resources, your valueable experiences etc. Thank guys.

(spurred by looking at all those life like carving of fish out there)

PS: I've tried Googling "fish carving" but most are just tid bits here & there.

http://www.fishcarver.com/ has a lot of information and you can also get books, videos etc that you were asking about there as well. I have a bluegill that i started carving a long time ago that i need to finish or at least paint as is lol. I just read the scale pattern tutorial that tells you how to make a tip for your wood burner to make scales with pretty good stuff and there is a lot more there.

Lapala,

I, too, have an interest in carving fish. I have carved a few. However, I have not learned how to paint them. This is probably the best fishing carving link that I have found: http://www.fishcarver.com/ Ed Walicki is one of the foremost fish carvers around.

The books listed below are some excellent resources. The "Freshwater Fish Carving" book by James Fliger is my personal favorite.

http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/02/BP1012.html

http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com/fish-carving.htm

If I can be of further help, don't hesitate to ask. I can't answer all of your questions but I'll try.

I hope this helps.

Gene

I just picked up an excellent (so far) fish carving book about a week and a half ago. It was printed in 1996 and I believe is now out of print.

I'll post the details about it later this evening. It covers the process from end to end and has a number of instructional projects. It addresses natural and decorative carving styles.

LaPala,

Look up fish decoys or spearing decoys on the net and you will find a whole different type of carving world. Not that the carving techniques are that different but the end uses are. Some are truely works of art. Fish decoys are in fact some of the only true American folk art forms there is, that and duck decoy carving. I'll try and send you some photos from my collection.

Mitcheal :lol:

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Found both books Gene recommended here:

http://www.breakthroughmagazine.com/productList.asp?category=Carving+-+Books%2C+Manuals%2C+Videos

are these prices okay? But I have to pay US9 postage for each book :( It's no help when the exchange rate is 3.8 to 1; grrrrrrrrrrr.

Actually I am aware of these 2 books while googling for fish carving just couldn't decide if they were the right ones to get. Now that I've got confirmation, geezzz I'm going to be so poor I have to settle for turkey necks only for Christmas dinnner. I'll try Amozon & see if I can get it in used copy.

Gene: Those are mighty AWESOME carving you do (browsed your Tree to Treasure site :)). Think I'll pound you with questions later :D

I'm onto the fishcarver site, the Woodburning pen is MINE... I'm gonna make then tommorrow :D

Thanks for all the ifo guys.. Keep em coming, not that I'm so excited I can't sleep. :)

Lapala,

Thanks for the compliments on my other carvings. Feel free to ask questions anytime.

I checked out the site that you mentioned and those prices seem to be good. I paid $40 for my copy of the "Freshwater Fish Carving" book. I do not have the "Breakthrough Fish Carving Manual" but I do own the "Breakthrough Fish Painting Manual" and it is an excellent book, too.

Gene

Gene, fishingwaters: I'm going to get both books :D Now the only thing left to do is dig really deep into my bank account & see if there's enough left :(

fishingwaters: I've got a sample page from the breakthrough book and if that's the stuff thru-out, I'd be really thrilled. Can U confirm this? Flip to the page thats tells you how to carve the head, it shows U how to layer the gill plates & how to tackle the mouth really realistically? Grrrr... wish I can get my hands on the book now.

Mitchael: Dug up some fishing decoy stuff, they are cool.

Gene: Watch out for my PMs... You might be flooded :D (cause even after I place my orders for the books I'd have to wait close to a month b4 I can get my hands on them :() I luv the tutorial you did on how to do eyes, got anything on fish eye socket carving? :D

Dwain: When are U going to finish your bluegill? Post or email me some of your in-process pics :)

Growler: Wha's the carving pattern book about? Is it prepared template kind of thing?

Geeez, I'm full of questions. :D