Coley

Baits made from 16# foam

After reading/studying Husky's tutorial about Bondo molds

and foam baits, I thought I would give it a try.

So, 154 emails later, here is the result. I am very

pleased with the result. I hate sanding anyway.

And with these, as you can see there isn't much.

I made my first mold to resemble a Poe's 200.

The action is great with a very tight wiggle.

The bait weighs just over 1/2 oz. No drilling or

gluing in hook hangers or weights, they are all

molded in. Soon, I hope the lips will also be molded

in. I can turn out, from each mold 3-4 quality baits an hour

Throw these against a rock, yes, the paint may come

off, but damage to the bait, none. The 16# foam is

advertised to be hard as Maple, and I believe it.

Thanks. Husky for all your help.

Coley

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

foamx5.jpg

1143_thumb.attach

Those are some beautiful bodies there Coley. I make the same type of body and it takes me about an hour to do one. These types of plugs are very very tough. The guy that taught me to make baits made a DBIII body out of this stuff. He had me throw it as hard as I could on his garage floor. I did and the body did not have a scratch. The only problem that I have heard about them is that they have trouble getting the lips to stay in them over a period of time. But I think I know of a way to beat that. He also complained that he had trouble getting rid of the line where the two halves join in the mold. Anyway, ya done good again!!!!!! They look great. Paint one up and show it to us.

Skeeter

There is no seam line here, as a matter of fact, there was very

little flash at the seam. You use a mixture of vasoline and mineral

spirits as a mold release, the tail end of the mold was

sealed so tight, I had to drill an .080" hole to let the air out

and the foam in. I made some topwater baits also.

And thanks for the nice compliments!!

You can find the foam here:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/

Coley

Coley, you were an excellent student. Infact, you have qualified for your student teachers certificate. :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that we've both learned from this exersise. For you, you've become quite accomplished at mold making and casting foam and for me;

Coley Wrote So, 154 emails later, here is the result.
, After 154 Emails, I've finally learned how to type! :wink:

Coley,

Those are some killer blanks. Glad to see more members casting lures from home made molds. Husky & Vy got the foam technique down pat.

Vy also hooked me up on a russian tutorial by Victor Vlasenko

for making molds with fine powdered concrete and fiber glass resin. It produces a psuedo-aluminum block. Check it out. http://www.vlasenko.ru/New-man/0939-txt.htm

Can't wait to see them lures painted Coley. They look great!

Shawn

Hey Coley, They are awesome and it sure looks like its a major time saver. I know you mentioned a wire through, are you adding any additional weight to this at all to get to the 1/2 oz? Do you reccommend having a mold with the lip slot cut in it already, or is it better to cut it after you remove the mold? Also what kind of primer or base coat is your reccomendation for this stuff. I think I might have to give this mold making a good look at. Who wants to answer my 154 E-Mails??? :D Cody

Want to read that Russian page? Go to http://world.altavista.com/ and you can copy and paste blocks of test from the russian page to the translator window. Click on the drop down menu and select russian to english and click translate.

Voila! Now it's readable! Unfortunately the translate a web page window didn't work for this page, but you can get the text if you'll copy and paste.

Here's the first part of the text. Enjoy!

The material of form - domestic epoxy glue EDP or EKF, that that it is possible to purchase in any economic. It dilutes by hardener in the relationship from 1:8 to 1:10... (I I use 1:9). With the production of form I add filler - cement (preliminarily necessary to sift through the gauze of!!!). Relationship of components (by the volume): Resin - 9 Parts, Hardener - 1 Part, Cement - 5 Parts. With the production of form it is important to make filling for one batch and not to boost thermal conditions (so that not there would be internal stresses).

OK guys...here ya go!

The converted text from Russian to English. I didn't make any spelling or grammer corrections...deal with it :lol: No pictures, didn't want to infringe on any copyrights. Each paragraph is separated just like in the tutorial, should make it easier to match up.

And here is a website to help you convert ounces to grams to pounds to whatever :wink:

http://www.megaconverter.com/Mega2/index.html

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc

foam_mold.doc