Growler

Split rings and no pliers

Just started using small splitrings, and having spend half an hour getting the first one inserted - ther must be a better way. I finally figured a way to stick in a thin tool to open the ring, then shift it to a small screwdriver, then shift from that to a bigger screwdriver, and slide it along the tapered point of that till it opens the right amount.

I looked at getting split ring pliers, but the ones I looked at were $30+ and at this point I don't want to spend that.

I just looked at some on eBay - and the prices are lower, but I can't tell what kind I need or whether cheaper ones are going to work.

Someone on here not too long ago reccommended Opened Screw Eyes. All you have to do is put the Split Ring on and close it up with a pair of Pliers.... It SOUNDS so much easier!! I might have to just give that a try sometime, I know the pain and the frustration of having to put them on. And yes I bought the inexpensive $5.00 pair, I would say save your money and buy a better one. The cheapo doesnt cut it! Cody

Here's the easiest way I've found:

Insert the tips of needlenose pliers through the splitring.

Press the pliers to your benchtop.

Push the eye of the hook into the splitring.

Slide the hook until the splitring closes.

Slip the splitring onto an open screweye.

Pinch screweye shut.

Done.

BTW: I've not found a decent pair of splitring pliers that do a good job on smaller splitrings.

Just how many times did I type "splitring" in this message? :)

ONly 7 times.

Ive had no problems opening splitrings with needlenose pliers. Ive often thought about buying special "splitring pliers" to open my splitrings but have always decided i dont use enough splitrings to make it worth buy the splitring pliers. However now that i have started making jiging spoons i am wondering how much fast these splitring pliers open splitrings.

Wasnt there somebody on homebrew tools that made splitring pliers from needlenose?

Also where do everybody buy there splitrings and what splitring is preffered.

I said splitring 11 times.

I made a pair from needle nose pliers by heating one side of the plier tips with a propane torch and slowly bending to a 90 degree then shaping with a file to a sharp some what rounded point. The other side of the pliers was then shortened and shaped with the file to allow small rings to fit over and allow the pliers to barely close without the tip touching and allow the rings to be seperated when the pliers are closed. I started out with the inexpensive slit ring pliers and soon bent them then fixed them and finally tossed them, with needle nose pliers from cheap tool stores or yard sales you can make a set that will last for cheap. Sorry no pictures but I'll help if these instructions are too confusing.

I just got a very nice pair at Wal-mart for under $10. It may be a new item as I had never seen them before. They are solidily built and even have a an extra notch that closes open eye screws like a dream. They seem to compare well to the $20+ versions I have seen on line.

I found the on a peg hook card hanging near the terminal tackle.

Barlow's definately offers a nice selection. All pliers are not the same. Barlows offers 3 different sizes depending on the size of split ring you are using. The biggest problem that I have found is that you always somehow manage to spring the split ring. If you open it too far, it wont go back to its original flat shape. I think I would chose the pair with the smallest opening and never open the split rings past this point. It may prevent the springing effect( non closure ) of the split rings.

M

I think I paid about 6 or 7 dollars for mine at Wal-Mart and they work great. After trying it with a knife, pliers, teeth, etc., I would suggest getting a pair of them and being done with it! Avoid buying the really "cheap pair" that have only a rivet holding the two sides of the pliers together...had these first and they lasted a very short amount of time.

Jed :D

Guys I dont usually post, just read but recently did a deal with pair of roundnose pliers bought at Wally's for 8 bucks. Went through the same process outlined for needlenose, heating and bending top jaw then trimming the lower to just fit up in the crook. The advantage of round over flat jaws became apparent when I had to assemble a bunch of spinnerbaits. I found I could trim the blade arm, form loop, attach sampo to blade and then pop it on the bait with one set of pliers instead of 3. Since I can never keep track of even one set of anything I did a set for the bench one for the boat and one for my spinnerbait box for on the water repeairs or tweaks.

One more note since I make a wide variety of stuff. (mostly un-artisitc utility grade stuff) I feel several sizes of pliers are in order. Most cheap split pliers do OK on big stuff but fail miserably on small rings like the ones on ball bearing swivels and such.

The last time I looked, a good pair of needlenose pliers was only a few bucks less then good pair of split ring pliers. For the time, gas etc. to bend a pair, why not just buy them already made? I have several pairs, and prefer the ones with the tooth meeting the other half of the tool rather than passing over the end.

For me, this was the most frustrating part of lure making, split rings. I could paint 3 lures by the time it took me to add 3 split rings and hooks to one lure.

I've been unable to find any split ring pliers that really work and I'm not going to gamble on a more expensive pair that don't work neither. SO, I got this lil vice, put a curved edge Exacto Knife blade in it, open the split rings by placing them on the blade (they stay open) then add the lure or hook, then finish it off with needle nose pliers. :) The vice is like the third hand I needed.

Ok split ring pliers are not needed.

This is how I have always done them, and they never get over opened this way.

You take a hook the same size as you are going to use.

You use the point to open the split ring, then slip the eye of the hook going on the bait in there.

This holds it just the right size foor the hook your putting on.

Slip it in a little more, so it will not pop out.

Now use a needle nose pliers, in the ring to handle the asssembly.

Put the opening in the ring, up against the hook hanger eye.

Press it in and twist with the pliers, rotate it through with grabs of the pliers.

Snap, it is on there and done.

Works real fast once you get the hang of it.

Here's a pair of split ring pliers used by Bagleys employees to attach who knows how many hooks, it was definately made from a regular needle nose pliers by drilling holes thru the tips and attaching a sharpened pin on one end.

why this way? I find that you can pick up a ring from table, split it and place hook on, then use pliers jaws to turn hook and ring onto lure hanger all in one motion. much quicker and easier than any other I have used, and who would doubt Bagley ideas...