Jump to content
10 replies to this topic
Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience using a product called “Kwikpoly”? Please see www.kwikpolyllc.com . We use it as an electrical insulator where I work.
Is very thin and seems to soak deep into the balsa test strips I have used. Hasn't yellowed, as of yet ( 110 days ). It cures in about five minutes. Seems to be very tuff and flexible. I am going to try it as a top coat and a sealer to see how it works out. I normally stay away from the quick curing poly epoxies but this has caught my eye
Just wondering if anyone has tried it on a lure. Always looking for something new to play with.
Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:45 PM
I have never tried it. But I am curious to find out how it works as a clearcoat. Let us know.
Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:21 PM
I will do it. I have had a test strip coated and laying in the window for some time. It hasn't yellowed yet but will be watching it over the next several weeks.
This stuff goes on like water but does set up fast. I chilled the mixture on ice and it lasted about 10 minutes, but really soaks in to the wood. I put two test coats on painted scrap balsa and it looks good. Has a deep gloss shine and seems to be tuff as anything I have used.
Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:27 PM
Do you think it might set so fast it won't level out on
Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:38 PM
It seems to level out well. I think the trick would be not to try to do too many t a time. The test strips I did looked fine just turning them by hand. You won't have to worry about the "in-between jell" you get with some epoxies. It either spreads or it is solid.
Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:39 PM
Sorry, but I am just a little confused.
I didn't think you wanted a sealer that soaked into the bait. Could someone elaborate on this.
Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:45 AM
Tally, I can not speak for everyone but in my opinion I like my initial seal coat to soak into the surface of the wood a bit. I find this especially beneficial on balsa and in some instances with jelutong (paya).
The epoxy penetrates the surface and forms a type of “ectoskeleton”, giving some strength and rigidity to the surface of the wood. It also provides a water-proofing that, I hope protects the wood in case of a leak in the final finish coat. One coat, perhaps two, does provide a very acceptable primer for following layers of finish. I have found you can cut the glaze of the two part sealer with fine sand paper, then coat with colored primer and get a good paint job.
I have found that a balsa lure sealed with conventional one-part sealers can be compressed with just finger pressure. If a two part epoxy type sealer is used and it has soaked into the surface of the material, it takes much more pressure to flex the surface of the lure. It is purely a strength thing with me.
I believe I first heard, ”custom bait makers tend to over build their baits“ here and I believe it may be true but it is just the way we are. I am always looking for a better product. I tend to come back to what I know, but I keep looking.
Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:58 PM
Thanks JR, I use Devcon and maybe it soaks into the wood also but I am certainly no expert on this subject, but being dumb only comes if you don't ask.
Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:26 PM
Tally, you are more than welcome. I use Devcon also. It soaks in just past the surface layer. I am always looking for something that might soak in a bit further and still give me the same qualities as the Devcon.
Never not ask a question. If you don't ask is it still a question?
Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:47 PM
That was me that said that I didn't want anything to soak way down into the wood. I still want the bouyancy to be there. Balsa will take allot before it won't float. I still use the Devcon to coat my balsa lures before I paint them. Like JR said,,,, it doesn't soak way down into the wood.
But I am curious about the results of JRs experiment.
Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:32 PM
I have gone ahead and cut out some body blanks from jelutong, balsa, and butternut. I have coated these with Kwikpoly and when they dried I cut one of each in half. I will look at these under magnification, at work, and hopefully know how far the coating really soaked in.
The more I play with this stuff the better I like it. I guess the real test will
be if it yellows or not and how well it holds up to some stress testing.
I will keep you posted.