Coley

Foam baits with molded in lips

OK. I use the 50/50 mix also and have great results with it. Now for my question what is the talc used for? When I used talc the first time, i did not see any reasoning for it, plus some of the talc buildup transfered to my lure. I really like the foam and I really see some great possiblilities and advantages to using it.

Rick

OK. I use the 50/50 mix also and have great results with it. Now for my question what is the talc used for? When I used talc the first time' date=' i did not see any reasoning for it, plus some of the talc buildup transfered to my lure. I really like the foam and I really see some great possiblilities and advantages to using it.

Rick[/quote']

I find the talc to allow a smoother, even finish and also keeps the MR from adhereing to the lure. For me, I've found my best results by using the Mineral Spirits/Vas, removing all but a very thin coating with a cotton rag and then applying a thin, even talc coating. After I apply the talc, I remove all excess talc by blowing it out. You only want an even, light dusting. JMHO

Alright Husky' date=' Your da man on this. I will give it a shot tonite.

Also I need to make my sprue hole's smaller. I was wondering what caused the air holes in my lures..

This is fantastic!

Rick[/quote']

You can downsize the existing spew hole by blocking one side with clay or caulk. It's a quick easy fix.

All the Australian lure manufacturers that cast bodies with urethane for example featherlite mold the lips into the body if you have a look at the mold pics i uploaded you will see that, before products like featherlite came along they used blown foam same as what you are using now and they molded the lip into the body as well , the part of the lip that enters the body will have a hole i preferred a square hole that the foam can go through to retain the lip inside the body ,they have been doing it since the 80"s and i have never seen or heard of a lip pulling out . i have caught barra up to 140 cm and giant trevally to 115cm.I have cast my lure into schooling trevally, queenfish,and spaniards caught anywhere up to 30 fish in one sitting using one lure and the lip was fine.

All the Australian lure manufacturers that cast bodies with urethane for example featherlite mold the lips into the body if you have a look at the mold pics i uploaded you will see that, before products like featherlite came along they used blown foam same as what you are using now and they molded the lip into the body as well , the part of the lip that enters the body will have a hole i preferred a square hole that the foam can go through to retain the lip inside the body ,they have been doing it since the 80"s and i have never seen or heard of a lip pulling out . i have caught barra up to 140 cm and giant trevally to 115cm.I have cast my lure into schooling trevally, queenfish,and spaniards caught anywhere up to 30 fish in one sitting using one lure and the lip was fine.

And we're supposed to take your word for it? :rolleyes: I think Some of us will just have to come down for a month or so and find out for ourselves. :lol:

Sounds like some great fishing. Do you have to run very far off shore?

Lol,no its 8 kms off shore at a place called Magnetic Island its reef out front with mud flats behind leading to the mangrove lined shore .The reef is pretty shallow but it has alley ways that lead into dead ends as they hit the mud flats the pelagics school up there waiting for the tide to get high enough so they can move onto the flats to feed,we just sit back a bit and flick lures into them too easy they have already worked themselves into a feeding frenzy.that was about a year ago The problem now is that there has been a lot of changes to the fishing zones you cant fish anywhere decent the whole industry up here is going bust because of politics,the crank bait manufacturers are going to the wall because of soft plastics and those horrible chinese lures that people like Rex Hunt put there name to 99% dont even swim.In Australia there is no such thing as consumer loyalty they couldnt give a rats ass .Its Fubared

Hi Husky,

Darkstar is not having ago at us.When you get the lip design right have them laser cut.In Australia it cost me $40 per 100 for 2mm. thick poly-carbonate lips with a 6mm. hole in them.When the foam expands around them they don't come out.This is one of my major sales advantages.I also run a 1.2mm stainless full harness wire with 4x V.M.C. hooks.A customer recently brought one back that he used on Cape York.Right up there in mongrel country.Anyhow it lured 2 barracuda 5 trevally 2 estuary cod and a mangrove jack.The poor bugger's got a lot of denture holes in it but is still serviceable so I gave him a new one and use his as a demo at the local markets where I have a stall.And mate if you come down, you've got to fish Weipa.It's right on the northern tip of Oz.Just punch it in to "google"and you'll see what I mean.

Barramundi