Coley

Foam baits with molded in lips

Nice Fomies Coley; execellent job.

I notice you didn't thru wire the thing, is the holding power of the foam enough to hold the lip during a vicious fight with the fish? Any figures to refer to - like how many lbs of force b4 the lip is pulled out? I'm always curious about these facts & have "killled" quite a number of production lures to find out. :D

I see one problem you'll have - open pores of foam. When you will be finishing the lures, there can be some gases that will lift the surface of primer. I've observed one thing - the surface of the lure must be perfect - as it comes out of the mold. If you sand it and open the pores - no perfect primering can be achieved :(

One more thing ? the lip. I think it can be pulled out with ease. The line tie point must be the strongest. Foam is not as hard as hardwood it can crack. I think thru wire is the must when using Foams.

Anyways ? good job!!!!!

I see one problem you'll have - open pores of foam. When you will be finishing the lures' date=' there can be some gases that will lift the surface of primer. I've observed one thing - the surface of the lure must be perfect - as it comes out of the mold. If you sand it and open the pores - no perfect primering can be achieved :(

One more thing ? the lip. I think it can be pulled out with ease. The line tie point must be the strongest. Foam is not as hard as hardwood it can crack. I think thru wire is the must when using Foams.

Anyways ? good job!!!!![/quote']

Hey VY,

I've found that by sealing the lures in tha plastic concoction I posted, The lures take paint with no problems and it gives it a perfect platform for paint or other finishing methods. It's the only thing I use.

I sent Vytautas an email asking for him to explain why he thought

lip would pull out easily. Well, come to find out we are using two different

types of foam. He said his didnot bond to the lip.

So I ran a test on the lip as follows:

I tied the lip to an over hanging branch and tied the

body to a 5 gal. bucket.

I filled the bucket with water which weighs 41.5 lbs plus

the weight of the bucket.

No problems developed. Its still hanging out in the tree.

and that was 30 min ago.

I would of taken a picture, but it was pouring down rain.

and still is.

You can't break it out going from side to side or up and down.

I did, break the lip off flush with the front of the bait going up and down.

But, it didn't come loose.

And remember these are 1/8" lips.

So, I can't see any problems with these molded in

lips if done properly.

I hope this relieves any doubts you might have developed.

I haven't tried the primer yet.

45 min to an hour later

NOTE: I just went out and the bucket is still hanging there.

So I picked the bucket up about 8" and let it go.

The staging broke(nylon trot-line cord). Lip is

still intact.

Coley

Never a doubt here Coley' date=' I was pretty confident you did your homework. Now send the homework to me so I can try it. :lol:

Husky: I would like to know what the brand name is on the laquer thinner you use on melting the plastic. Thanks

Tally[/quote']

The Brand I use Is made by Recochem. They're based in CA. with Divisions in Toronto and Montreal. All it says on the can is "General Purpose Lacquer Thinner." I hope that helps....

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

dscf0001_195.jpg

1152_thumb.attach

I just got done modifying my first bondo mold last night to except a lip, I drilled a hole through the lip and attached it to the entire wire through set up. After seeing your test results won't be as worried.

We want some Pics...That set up sound pretty bullet proof. What size and type wire did you use in it?

Welcome to "FOAM NATION"

I ended up chucking the mold after posting, I went to look at it again and just didn't really like the way it was looking. I also need to figure out what type of lip I am going to use or make the mold so various lips could be used. I had used 19 gauge stainless steel for the harness.

I ended up chucking the mold after posting, I went to look at it again and just didn't really like the way it was looking. I also need to figure out what type of lip I am going to use or make the mold so various lips could be used. I had used 19 gauge stainless steel for the harness.

Coating the model with devcon makes for a better mold. You jusy have to retrace your center lines after it sets.

Here's a pic of lure straight out of mold, with exception of sticking on eyes. Cliff

Great stuff, Cliff. I assume that is with the PVA release agent. JMHO, but that seems to be the best way to attach the lip. You get the best of both worlds, the Foam adhesion and the thru wire. As I mentioned to Coley, I was very surprised at the extreme strength of the Lexan/Foam connection. There must be a chemical bond that happens between the 2. Kudos to you and Coley on your work and research.

First let me say that is awsome work!

Next how many lures do you get out of one of those kits and which one did you get from that place. I would think you could get a few lure out of the small package of foam?

Thanks

conman

Hey Conman. You can buy a 4lb kit for about $18. The kit is basically 2 1 qt cans' date=' 1 of each part. That translates to 1/2 gallon of raw product, which expands. I never did a count but I'm thinking it'd yield in excess of 100 lures, depending on size, of course. [url']http://www.shopmaninc.com[/url] You can get a 16lb kit, 2 gals for $48. Pick up some Mold release wax and PVA while you're there, if you want results like Cliff, above.

I feel obligated to say that I am in no way connected to that company. It's just that their Prices, products, service and customer service are excellent!

Hey Cliff, that's a great job. I just don't see the need for

a through wire in my case. I don't think there is a bass

around that can tear out my lip installation, after the testing

I did.

Nor do I think the cotter pins will tear out. These lips are not Lexan, they are some type of plastic.

A rep of Jannsnetcraft told me that.

I have noticed the figure 8, used for line ties and hook hangers

pull out of plastic baits fairly easy.

Let's keep taking this foam thing to the limit.

I am contact with Del to make an alum. mold.

My molds are doing a good job, just not perfect as I think

an alum. mold could produce.

Husky is going to cost me a fortune. :lol:

Coley

I am here in PA, watching the Philadelphia Eagles self destruct... AS USUAL ( Every Year they give us a SNIFF to lose it all! ) and Banging out some Balsa Cranks. I am completely in awe of all this Mold Making stuff! I am still enjoying "LEARNING" the Balsa and Poplar wood way, but with the results I am seeing here, you guys are flat out kicking me in the behind and flat out inspiring to try this! Maybe Husky can offer me an answer to these questions... How is this Holding up through time? I mean is this foam stuff worthy of making baits to turn around and sell, and that will last a good bit? It really does sound like a neat concept to sell, but it also does sound like the product just doesnt have the UMPH or the feel of wood. I guess I am still an Ole Head that wanted the WOOD feel of a crankbait in the fact that it is different than the plastic ones every one is throwing. But again educate me a little more on this... is it WORTHY of trying and selling, or is it a lazy way out? I dont mean to offend, but being a Philadelphia Sports fan.... I am a pessimistic by NATURE!! :D Cody