jerkbaiter

my loss your gain foam bait mold

well yesterday i went out and got some bondo to make a mold for some baits. the lure i was using for the mold was a lunkers club topwater and i tore the bait all up just trying to get it out of the mold. (40 dollar top water)

is there a trick on how to get it out of the bondo .also i was under the understanding that those baits were made of wood but come to find out they are a foam bait as well.also has anyone tried a store bought bait in a bondo mold

thanks

Jack

If you leave the model bait in the bondo to long

it can be very difficult to get out.

I don't know how you did it, but if you follow Huskies tutorial

you will have very little trouble.

As far as a store bought bait, yes, I did one.

It was an unfinished plastic, that I managed

to get apart and mold the first half, glue it

together and mold the second half.

Husky is the expert.

I have learned a lot from him and I am willing to help

you or others all I can.

Coley

well yesterday i went out and got some bondo to make a mold for some baits. the lure i was using for the mold was a lunkers club topwater and i tore the bait all up just trying to get it out of the mold. (40 dollar top water)

is there a trick on how to get it out of the bondo .also i was under the understanding that those baits were made of wood but come to find out they are a foam bait as well.also has anyone tried a store bought bait in a bondo mold

thanks

Jack

Sorry for your loss. If you used a razor to cut it back down to the mid line, and if it was sprayed with WD 40 or something similar and AND if you took it out before the Bondo fully hardened It should have came out. Also, gently prying it, front to rear until it pops helps.

So, Now you have a somewhat wrecked plug, but all is not lost. You only need the plug for its shape, so clean it up as well as possible. You should be able to restore it enough to use it as a model again. Cutting the excess Bondo to the center line is crucial. Otherwise it's like trying to get a 12 Foot truck under an 11.5 foot Bridge. Try again.

thanks for the helpfull hints what i did was let the bondo harden to hard i did 2 almost perfect sides lastnight i have been bustin my brains for over 10 months on how to make an exact protocopy of the lunkers club top water lures and thanks to this sight i almost feel like i got alittle of that japan lure making blood in me lol i also did not have no wd-40 so i used pam cooking spray to keep the 2 molds from sticking together agine thanks husky and coley

Jack

Yo Guys, heres a helpful hint for you all to try next time. Again Im going back to my sculpting days in college. If you are only making one half of the mold, and letting it cure, then coming back to do the second part... here is an easy cure to your lure getting stuck inside the first cast. So dont fret and dont ruin your bait just yet trying to get it out. Remember your object and primary goal is to get the mold made, but dont risk the lure just yet. Before you start on the second part of the mold, leave the lure in the first cast. Go to Home Depot and by a little Aluminum flashing material. Basicly set this all the way around the lure on the first cast, and definitely WD-40 Both sides of the flashing material AND the lure! The next best thing would be to cut the flashing to the dirrect size and shape around the lure. Get it as close to the lure as possible. Touching the lure would be better. Then build your box around that, on top of your first cast. Then put the bondo on top of that. What you are doing is making a scrim to keep the first part of the cast from intermixing with the second cast. After the second cast is set, your flashing and first cast should come right apart from the second cast, then you can work on getting the lure out of the first cast. The next step after that is to design some kind of allignment key for the 2 halves to lock into each other to pour the foam. All I can say is this is going to happen to someone else, so lets learn from it and try to have a plan B instead of a plan for the trash and ruining baits. Its Christmas Eve and Im waiting for kids to get to bed so I can Play Santa, but I hope I am making some sense out this. Cody

Yo Guys, heres a helpful hint for you all to try next time. Again Im going back to my sculpting days in college. If you are only making one half of the mold, and letting it cure, then coming back to do the second part... here is an easy cure to your lure getting stuck inside the first cast. So dont fret and dont ruin your bait just yet trying to get it out. Remember your object and primary goal is to get the mold made, but dont risk the lure just yet. Before you start on the second part of the mold, leave the lure in the first cast. Go to Home Depot and by a little Aluminum flashing material. Basicly set this all the way around the lure on the first cast, and definitely WD-40 Both sides of the flashing material AND the lure! The next best thing would be to cut the flashing to the dirrect size and shape around the lure. Get it as close to the lure as possible. Touching the lure would be better. Then build your box around that, on top of your first cast. Then put the bondo on top of that. What you are doing is making a scrim to keep the first part of the cast from intermixing with the second cast. After the second cast is set, your flashing and first cast should come right apart from the second cast, then you can work on getting the lure out of the first cast. The next step after that is to design some kind of allignment key for the 2 halves to lock into each other to pour the foam. All I can say is this is going to happen to someone else, so lets learn from it and try to have a plan B instead of a plan for the trash and ruining baits. Its Christmas Eve and Im waiting for kids to get to bed so I can Play Santa, but I hope I am making some sense out this. Cody

Cody, resin and Bondo have a "Shinkage" factor. As they cure they tighten down even more. If you remove the model as the Bondo is begining to set the removal process is relatively easy. That's because the bondo is still not fully hardened and hasn't shrunk yet. Post pics of you method, please, souns interesting.