Dink Mendez

Paint old Poe crankbaits!

Hi Gentlemen,

My name is Dink Mendez. I'm new to this forum. So please forgive me for not knowing alot. I have old poe's crankbaits 200 thru 400 series crankbaits. I would like to learn how to refinish the baits. I would like to know from start to finish what to do. I've read provisous messages; however I still don't completely understand the step. 1st-what kind of sealer to use. 2nd- after the sealer, what is next. 3rd- what kind of paint. 4th-sealer or do I seal first then paint. Like I said, I'm a rookie needing guidance! I do make spinnerbait and jigs. However, I've wanted to know how to paint crankbaits. Thanks again for your time.

Dink this is my process order

1. Sanding

2. Wipe down with degreaser

3. (wood baits) seal with thinned epoxy

4. (wood baits) prime with krylon primer (plastic baits) prime with krylon fusion white

5. paint with your choice of paint

6. clear with your choice of clear

For specifics on peoples preferences read the forums, i am in the minority with my paint and clear choices.

i am in the minority with my paint and clear choices.

LOL :)

Dink there are many many different sealers that wok well , the krylon is good stuff and readily avalible . I dip most of my big wood baits in thined primer , but when I do the crank baits i do spray them cause dipping the little cranks is to thick for them .

And as for the clear if you read through the board there are several posts about the different clears . There is one hell of tutorial on using flex coat , that guy is good !!! hehehehe