jaybar

Complete Book of Tackle Making

I bought the book last October. It provides a general overview of all types of tackle but does not delve deeply into some types (crankbaits for example). The chapters on spinners & lead jigs are good...good sections on putting new line guides on a rod and making saltwater trolling lures. The rest of it is not tremendous. In spite of that, I still keep it handy on my reading table!

I'll agree with RiverMan,in just a short time on this site you will find out what you need to know on just about any bait you want to make.I am also a newbee at this and just got the book for Christmas.It is very basic but probably is worth the 20 bucks if nothing else makes a great coffee table book and interesting read.

I got this book several years ago and while the information in it old, most of it is still applicable...however the book only covers the general basics and does a poor job at that. There are probably several tricks and tips hidden in it's pages but I couldn't get thru page after page of the author recounting stories of some old lure he made that should have revolutionized the industry but didn't or a would-be lure maker he met and how he so quickly crushed their hopes. Let me just say that I wouldn't recommend this one, JIM

It is a decent book and perhaps worth the price. I agree that you can learn more from this site. If you're still unsure, do what I did and go to your public library and borrow it. In addition to lure making, it gives basic rod building, some home made tools and various gear like lure retrivers and rod holders. That way, the cost is $0.00 and you will know whether or not you will want to buy a copy for yourself.

--Islandbass