GruntHead

What kind of airbrush do you use?would you trade it in?

I've been using the Harbor freight special 19.99(Badger?) ones for awhile now and wanting to invest in something a little nicer.I cannot get the fine detail that I want with these brushes.I would like it to be a double action side feed.Any suggestions,money not really an object,I want to get something nice.Any suggestions on brushes that have sealed washers,pro's or con's?Thank you in advance.

I have and have always liked best my badger 155 anthem . I have had 3 pashcee vl thingys and didnt like them . everyone else loves the pashcee vls .the anthem goes real fine and real wide , one size needle , one size tip . I am sure a pashee vl lover will chime in soon :)

It is basicly what you get used to i think , I spray every thing from epoxy , primers , water based paints and automotive clear coats with the same airbrush .

Im with Funny Farm. But I have Badger 150's Dual action..... the only issue I really have is that the 150 is a bottom feed. You have to be careful cause if not... the cup can come off and spill all over the place. But aside that, I wouldnt trade mine in for the worls. Its all I've ever used, and no need to try or swith to something that works great for me. Cody

I use an Iwata eclipse CS and it is awesome !! It will do from a hairline to 2" spray. It is a gravity feed, and i think that is the way to go. Some Iwata'a are pretty expensive, but this gun runs around 105.00 at airbrush depot. I think Iwata's are the best out there. All my buddies that have body shops got me on these, and I have no reason to switch.

My 2 cents,

T-Ball B)

I have only owned one airbrush so it's difficult for me to provide any comparitive info. However, I have a Paasche single action and one thing I don't like is that the smallest tip still doesn't go fine enough. The thinnest line I can paint with the small needle is probably 1/2 inch. It seems to clog a great deal too but then again I am spraying the cheapest of paints from WalMart.

Gravity feed sounds like it would be a mess tho...is the gravity feed chamber sealed or do you have to worry about it spilling out?

Jed

I use a Paasche VL and a Badger Crescendo, both bottom siphon internal mix brushes. On balance, the Paasche may have slightly finer control but the Badger has user friendly features that I like (snap off rear cap, large easy to remove finger nuts, and a mix chamber that's fast to clean). You're going to be cleaning it ALOT and ergonomics in that area are important. I got the VL new off Ebay with a Central Pneumatic compressor. Great price but the chinese compressor is just "adequate" with a constant working pressure of around 15psi. Get the best compressor you can afford. I "inherited" a better Badger compressor from my son (see, kids ARE good for something!). Both the Badger and the Paasche came with 3 tips. If I were into fine detail and used auto air colors, a brush with a top gravity feed cup would be useful, but the siphon feed brushes are fine for moderate detail and shading with acrylic paints, IMO. I started with a $20 Badger #150 aerosol kit and it's not a bad way to get into airbrushing

Grunthead,for what it's worth I use both the Badger 150 and Iwata Eclipse.

Although the Badger will accept 3 heads I keep mine loaded w/ a medium head.

The Eclipse stays loaded w/ a fine head.

The fine head (Eclipse) gets the call most of the time except when shooting clear and chartruese

The medium head gets the call when I want to cover alot of surface and am not concerned w/ overspray,ie Prime coat/white basecoat/pearl base coat/topcoat.

The cool thing is that the Badger siphon lids/jars/and here's the nice one.........Airbrush Tips are all interchangable with Iwata and vice verse.I would reccomend either brand and enjoy having both.Iwata is probably the better of the two but not by much.

Bottom line,if you stay w/either Badger or Iwata your components are for the most part compatable

Blades

I have and have always liked best my badger 155 anthem . I have had 3 pashcee vl thingys and didnt like them . everyone else loves the pashcee vls .the anthem goes real fine and real wide ' date=' one size needle , one size tip . I am sure a pashee vl lover will chime in soon :)

It is basicly what you get used to i think , I spray every thing from epoxy , primers , water based paints and automotive clear coats with the same airbrush .[/quote']

Funny Farm - Can you ellaborate on spraying epoxy? Specifically what product and how do you thin it for spraying?

Bill

OK I'm waay late posting on this thread but as it's my first day here, I'm a bit post happy.

I've got 4 Paasche air brushes. The H, VLJ, VL & AB. The VLJ doesn't get used. Not that it's a bad brush, it isn't. It's just the other three cover all I need.

The H sprays my primer and I also put thinned color preserver through it. The VL I use to paint large areas where detail isn't involved. The AB is the baddest motor scooter of airbrushes I've ever used. The detail it's capable of is second to none. A big plus for a newb such as myself. The draw back of the AB is it's often over $200 bucks brand new. (pssst...shop on E-bay)

I bought a Craftsman compressor. It's 2 1/2 HP with a 3 gallon airtank and two inline water catches. I can spray at any pressure up to 100 PSI. But I spray usually at 30 PSI except when heavy pigments are used in which case I'll go to 50.

And I'm a big fan of Golden paints.

Later,

FF

Here is a forum...that will give you straight up answers regarding airbrushing. These guys know airbrushing.

http://www.airbrush.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=2

Its not the airbrush, it is the media....what kind of paint. Thinning correctly with reducers...not water. And air pressure... dont expect to pick up an airbrush once every 2 weeks and know how to use it...

lots of answers when you do searches on their forum...some of the work that is on there is awesome.

Free answers

Mike