NJFishRGuy

What do you pour from?

Hi, all...

As a newbie who's only been pouring for a few months, I'm beginning to realize why some of you use the techniques that you do. :? In particular, I find it really hard to pour laminate sticks when using only the microwave to melt my plastic. I feel like a one-armed paper hanger trying to keep both colors at the right temperature. So I have a little informal survey for you, if you're willing, to hopefully speed me to the optimal solution for my circumstances...

• 1. How do you keep your plastic molten (microwave, hot plate, production pot, etc.)?
    2. What do you pour from? (Pyrex, pouring cup, etc.)
    3. Do you pour for yourself and friends, or commercially (for resale)?

One thing I'm trying to get a feel for is how many people use only a microwave... I know that a microwave is often used to melt the plastic initially and then it is kept at temp by other means (production pot, hot plate, etc.)

Thanks for participating!

Charlie

I am also very new to the plastic pouring, infact just a week into it so far and loving it. I have gotten the hang of the stickbait mold in a single color and now I'm working on the flukes (trying to get the tail poured is giving me problems) now. To answer your questions:

1. Microwave

2. Pyrex

3. Myself and friends

Same here, been playing around since 3/04!!!

Mic

Pyrex

Friends/family(damn family always wants them!!)

Few custumers!!

I think alot of guys use the mic then use the burners to keep the plastic warm for 2 or more colors.. I myself am trying to find something to keep my plastic in... But some of the guys gave me some cool ideas!!...

Wow, many of you use just the microwave and Pyrex! 8O How do you deal with multi-color pours? Just making a laminate stick makes me feel like I'm dancing as fast as I can.

I was thinking of using a hot plate and metal pouring cups for multi-color pours, heating the plastic first with the microwave. How do the pouring cups clean up? What do you use to clean them?

Actually Charlie.....I say hats off to the guys who can pour multi colors with a pyrex cup with any kind of production rate. I can't do it, so I gave up!

About your cup question, they clean up super nice. Just pull the plastic out just like with the pyrex. I just use a paper towel to clean the cups. If you do this long enough, you will accumulate a HUGE supply of cups.

I think I have something like 1000 cups now. My cups are separated in boxes according to flake. In other words, I don't ever completely clean up the flake that's left over in the bottom of the cup. I just make sure my next color combo includes that flake when I use that cup. Hope this makes sense. :?

Chris

Lure Craft. When you call them, make sure you ask for the old style cups with the plastic handles. They don't advertise them in the catalog, but they have tons of 'em.

They used to have wooden handle cups and those were sweet. The new ones aren't quite as good, but much better than the ones made completely of metal.

In my opinion, the cups in the catalog are much too bulky to work with, plus you'll burn your hands with those metal handles.

I have had bad luck with the small aluminum cups from Lurecraft. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the plastic handles melted when I used the cups on a small camp stove. I re-made the handles from a small wooden dowel(SP?). Now they seem to work well.

Very true. The wood is much better as the plastic ones will melt if you get the cups too full. Just saying that they're much better than those clunkers they have listed in the catalog.

Chris

I'm kinda shocked that no one really uses the Lee Plastic Pots. I am new to pouring also and was thinkin of investing in a Lee pot. Why don't you guys use these pots?

They are excellent for single pours with small flake. Other than that, they're a waste of time in my opinion. Large flake will clog the spout; sometimes even .035 flake will clog as well.

For 2 or 3 color pours, the preparation time is too long, and I can't keep all pots at a consistent temperature. Seems like one color is always not quite ready to pour. These things are very temperamental when it comes to the thermostat.

Also, they are a bear to clean up.

They are good if you have a large order of single colors. Even then, I wouldn't mess with it unless I had at least 100 of one color to pour.

Just my 2 cents.......

Chris