gordy9722

Devcon trouble

I have made a couple baits with no problem, but on the last couple i have had a bit of a cloudy finish on certain parts of my baits when they cure. I am wondering if this is due to a temperature change, or if i am mixing wrong. It only shows up in small sections on the lure and only can really be seen by tilting a certain direction. It is not that big of a deal, it just is an annoyance that i would like to be able to fix. Any help is appreciated!

Doug

I can't recall this ever happening to me Gordy other than times when I ended up with a whole bunch of bubbles. My guess tho is that you didn't get the stuff mixed properly. Make sure you mix the Devcon in a small container, not on a flat surface. If you mix in a container you are certain to include all parts of the epoxy in the mix. If you continue to have problems I would suggest you write Skeeter or Nathan.

Jed

Hey Doug,

I was born in Louisville and raised in Fern Creek so I am glad to give a hand to someone from the "Hometown". The problem is the you are not mixing the 2 parts of the epoxy thoroughly enough. Somewhere there was a pocket or two that didn't mix properly. Take you time and make sure that you mix it well. Do it slowly, don't whip it. It can also help at times if you fold the two parts onto each other and then slowly stir.

Is it tacky in those spots? That is the sure tell sign. Take your time and mix for a full minute. You will still have plenty of time the apply it to the bait. The perfect temperature for Devcon is 75 deg. Below 65 deg. it gets too thick to work with effectively. The cloudiness is probably a spot where there is not enough hardner in that spot to complete the reaction. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Skeeter

I mixed some more epoxy yesterday in a small plastic cup and from what I can tell there is no more cloudiness. It was weird though because I did check to see if that spot was soft and it didn't feel any different than the other sections. Oh well, as long as it works now! Thanks for the input!

Doug