Haebar

Colors for beginner, Sand, salt

Hi,

What are some good colors/dyes to get for starting out? I'm already looking at watermelon and motor oil. I'm not very clear on the sand and salt.... I understand that the salt makes the fish keep it in its mouth longer and maybe attracts him there in the first place, but what is the sand for?

Thanks,

According to Lurecraft, it increases weight. I use fine black sand from a craft store in place of black flake and use a two pour method to get the weighted part in the middle and non weighted tips at both ends for max action. Besides, it looks like a real worm's stomach contents.

Sam

I've never used sand, but I go through a bunch of salt. Everyone has their own preferences, but I only use salt with senkos and trailers. These are the only 2 baits that I need a "sinking" action. I like my worms and other baits to float; much better action and durability.

As for colors, my personal favorite has always been motor oil. You might also get small amounts of the basic colors to start; black, red, purple, blue, white, brown, etc. Add different types of flakes in these and you can get some really cool effects.

Other great colors??

Amber Brown, Chartreuse, Avocado, Green Pumpkin, Minnow Silver, Root Beer, Pumpkinseed, Pearl White.......

These are all I can think of off the top of my head. What am I missin' fellas?????

Chris

The only other color I can say for starting out is signal green. But other than that you covered it all.

I have played with the phosphorescent pigment, But that was only for MY enjoyment.

I would say that any florescent color, bright color etf do yourself a favor,

get heat stabilizer!!!

Just a quart or so will last a long time for someone starting out. If you over heat the plastic it will mess up th ecolor somthign fierce.

Had flo-yellow turn orange on me.

Also pre mix any florescent colors in the plastic Before you heat it.

look at the bottom of the pyrex cup if your microwave it, make sure you have no clumps of color.

You guys are GREAT!

Thanks for all the helpful responses!!! I really mean it.

I'm going to get started with my next paycheck. Probably will get the Lurecraft beginner's kit and some senko-like molds, 4" "lizard" (really a salamander) mold (these are great for river smallmouths), and a little crawdad mold. Who has the best molds for these others? I requested an M-F catalog the other day and will call Calhoun's tomorrow for their catalog. From what I've read here they (Calhoun's) have the best plastic. Going to go with suggestions I've read to use a microwave. Any more tips? I like this discussion board.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

John Peryam (Haebar)

yeah, after cooking your plastic dont get it on your skin.

It will peel off( your skin that is) and make you say some not so nice words........

The microwave is super fast for cooking the plastic, get a pyrex cup. 1 cup does well. wal mart had more microwaves for 30.00.

I now use automotive work gloves to protect my hands from any heat or mis haps with plastics.

Lure craft has better molds in my opinion , but for a few $$ more Del-Mart also has worm and creature molds that will not wear out.

He is also one of the nicest guys to deal with even if things dont go right. He makes it right and treats you with respect.

I will say that lure craft did the same thing. lori re sent the molds that I ordered over a week ago after they mailed them to a wrong address. I personaly like working with Lori better than dave. She lets you know what is out of stock right when you order it.

Talk to Chuck at Calhouns, Really nice guy and handles the accounts for hand pouring.

most people here will point you in the right direction. Not many attitudes here.

Not too impressed with Lurecraft service. Sent some molds back for credit on another order, which was misplaced. Finally recieved the order over 2 wks. later and was told UPS was at fault. I'll still get glitter and dyes from them, but plastic from M-F and molds I'll make myself.

Sam

I haven't had a problem with Lure Craft's deliveries. Let's just say their customer service leaves something to be desired. :rolleyes:

Mercury.....you must have a nicer voice than me 'cause Lori won't give me the time of day. :lol: She always acts like she's got 15 calls on hold. I sometimes hang up when she answers........

http://www.fishingworld.com/M-F-Manufacturing/ (for pop)

Oh hey Chris, I need to talk to you for a few. PM me and let me have your PH# please. got a few Q for ya. I have to go to work today, So can I call you tomorrow?

As for Lori. Hmmm, couldnt tell ya. I dont care for dave myself, Too much of a smart a$$, But when I talk to lori things seem to get done and done correctly.

Jeff