bladesandbaits

Testing Tally's Bait

The Monday after Christmas I picked up the mail at my post office.All regular mail with the exception of one small box.I new it was the Crankbait Tally had made for me as a gift.I could not wait to get back to the shop and open it.

I immediatly got it out and ran it through the test tank.Tally gave me a heads up and e-mailed me that he was unable to tune the bait due to weather conditions.Well it needed no tuning.It ran straight and true right out of the box.

As alot of you already know these baits are truly hand crafted,and are a work of art.The bait appeared to run about 1-1/2 feet deep which is just my style.I brought it with me to Okeechobee this week and you should see it run over the top of the grass.The wobble is so wide it dang near switches ends when retrieved.Bounces of cover really well.

As for the pattern and finish I give that a 10+++ also.Trust me when I say that the pictures of his past lures dont do them justice.The clearcoat is flawless with a foot deep shine.I have fished it quite a bit while pre-fishing at the Big "O" but unfortunately flipping and pitching are going to be the predominate patterns this week.I can already tell that it will be laying on the deck of my boat, ready to go when I start fishing shallow cover this spring.

Being a custom lure painter I have seen alot of handcrafted lures come across my workbench and I can say with all honesty that this one ranks right up there with the best.Anything this guy has to offer about building a custom crank,it would be wise to listen.I'm sure that Tally's knowledge up to this point has been greatly influenced by others on this site.

Those of you who offer help in response to post's can rest assured that your knowledge has come "full circle"It may be time to ask Tally a few questions as he has obviosly puts a lot of time and effort into his creations. Thank you Tally

Blades

Being a custom lure painter I have seen alot of handcrafted lures come across my workbench and I can say with all honesty that this one ranks right up there with the best.

Thanks for the nice write up and taking the time to throw my bait. You have put my bait in a special place that I hope someday all my lures will be. :D

Anything this guy has to offer about building a custom crank' date='it would be wise to listen.I'm sure that Tally's knowledge up to this point has been greatly influenced by others on this site.

Those of you who offer help in response to post's can rest assured that your knowledge has come "full circle"It may be time to ask Tally a few questions as he has obviosly puts a lot of time and effort into his creations. Thank you Tally

Blades[/quote']

Blades , you are most welcome and maybe someday that lure will put some cash in your pocket. As far as my knowledge, you are 100% correct, this is the only site I visit and is where I was invited to try making cranks. Yes, I am the student and there are a couple of excellent teachers here, but I have to thank everyone affiliated with TU as I read every post because there is a ton of information here.

Tally

Talk about memories.  I was shocked to even stumble across this post from 13 years ago.  Everything I learned about crankbaits came right from this site and endless hours of trial and error.  I am still snooping around the new posts, but if you haven't read the posts from the past you are missing out on some really good information.  A big thanks to TU for keeping these archives!!

• Like 1

Nathan, there was enough information back then that anyone could learn to make a crankbait.  and make it right!!  I had never made a crankbait in my life and had no desire until Skeeter talked me into it. ........ That was a day he was very sorry as he created a monster lol

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

that is too bad but i get it.  At one time this site was hopping with a wealth of information.  It wasn't people saying do this or do that..... it came with an explanation of why.  I don't think there was a piece of a crankbait that wasn't dissected.  Maybe I can bring forth some of that since I am back and help the "newbies"....... good enough was never "good enough"

Tally

• Thanks 1