5 fish on

topcoat on repainted production baits

I use Etex to produce a thinner top coat. I use one or two thin coats on my small top water lures when I don't want to add much weight.

I have also have top coated a few older baits with Clear Polyacrylic from Min Wax. I just dip the bait in the can and let it hang to dry, takes about three coats. It is not as durable as epoxy, but it much better than most factory top coats and it is just about as thin. Looks great too.

I have used the Clear Polyacrylic from Min Wax as well. I have covered baits for the last 3 years with it. I generally dip the baits 3-4 times times, then flip them nose to tail, and dip another 3-4 times. Seems to level out the process so the coating is even. This stuff is very runny so I usually let it drip dry. Be sure to dip the baits slowly or you will cause air bubbles that remain when dry. I also wrap a piece of coated wire into my eyelets rather than tape them. Almost impossible to get the tape off later. Simply unwrap the wire and pull it out of your eyelets. You may need to trim some excess off of the eyelets when done.

I don't think this is the most durable finish, but the gloss is great, it does stand up to teeth (at least for one summer), and does not seem to add significant weight to the bait.

Spinner