Flats

tuning help...

I just started making some hard baits thanks to Husky. They come out of the mold great but when I put the lip on and test them they don't wobble like a store bought plug. They keep rocking from side to side (Like a rocking boat).

The design is similar to a Yozuri SS minnow, with the lip almost vertical to keep the bait running as shallow as possible. I'm using metal as a lip material and it's rounded instead of square.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Without seeing the lure...it would be hard to pinpoint......I may be wrong... so here is a guess. I would say that it is one of 3 things. Your lip angle..maybe. Your clearcoat...bigger maybe..or your lip material. Got any pictures???? Sometimes Devcon a heavier glue(clearcoat) will change the action of baits. Need a pic for more advice...sure you will get other responses...if you can post. It could be the angle of the lip and not enough keel weight or too much weight...

Here's my first attempt ever, a 2 1/2" plug modified for saltwater. It dives to the depth of less than 1 inch. It will sport 1 single hook. I designed it to run over the top of oyster bars.

ignore the paint colors/job they were all I had on hand, and I don't have an airbrush yet.

Thanks for your help Husky, and everyone else.

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

plug.jpg

1246_thumb.attach

Here's my first attempt ever' date=' a 2 1/2" plug modified for saltwater. It dives to the depth of less than 1 inch. It will sport 1 single hook. I designed it to run over the top of oyster bars.

ignore the paint colors/job they were all I had on hand, and I don't have an airbrush yet.

Thanks for your help Husky, and everyone else.[/quote']

It's things like this that make this board so great. Nice job flats. B) Check Coleys thread on molding in lexan lips. You might find it quite useful.

So it dives a whole inch???? Talk about a shallow runner.

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

dscf0001_769.jpg

1247_thumb.attach

Actually, I'm staying away from lexan lips.

I thought about molding them in, but if I don't I can use the same molds with different angles and sizes. I'm working on a mini miter box for plugs.

By using the 24k gold plated lip, I also get a lot of extra flash.

Believe it or not, we often fish in 4-6" of water. You'd be surprised how big a redfish you'll catch that shallow. 8-10#ers are common.

Actually' date=' I'm staying away from lexan lips.

I thought about molding them in, but if I don't I can use the same molds with different angles and sizes. I'm working on a mini miter box for plugs.

By using the 24k gold plated lip, I also get a lot of extra flash.

Believe it or not, we often fish in 4-6" of water. You'd be surprised how big a redfish you'll catch that shallow. 8-10#ers are common.[/quote']

Ahhh.. the old "Versatility Gambit." :rolleyes: I fish back waters alot and can appreciate the shallow running. I just might have to come and visit you one day, that kind of fishing is right up my alley!