funny farm

Wood lure body find , I havent seen this - ever

Ok for those that know me I am a wooden lure body junkie , if i see them i buy them , any old new doesnt matter . I have 1,000's in my shop , boxes full from the 20's on through a few small lure companies i have bought there remaining bodies from . Anyway I have never seen some like this before . I added some pics to show them . They are all identical , these were not hand made . I started drilling the back of them for hardware and after drilling a few i noticed how soft the wood was after drilling about 3/4 inches , after looking at the back of the plugs i noticed that perfectly centered in all of the plugs it looked as if they had been drilled out and a different wood replaced . so i had to cut one in half . all of these have been drilled out and then a wooden plug put back in the hole leaving a hollow chamber . and these plugs are perfectly centered in the back , some body loved these guys . i am sure it was machine made but they are old so someone liked this hollow body for a reason . Maybe i am just excited over nothing but thought i would show these to you . there is a glob of glue on the inside on the end of the plug . and a good sized hollow section . cant tell what kind of wood it is but they are light . the front is almost at a point so i am guess maybe it was a diver because it would be too hard to get a screw eye in the small tip of the lure . and like i said the plug holes are all perfectly centered , I mean dead on , maybe this is how they were turned after the hole was drilled ? who knows ? anyone ?

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

tn_lurebody.jpg

tn_lurebody__1_.jpg

tn_lurebody__2_.jpg

1229_thumb.attach

1230_thumb.attach

1231_thumb.attach

I have some blanks identical to the ones you have pictured. I purchased a pile of tackle supplies from a estate sale which included several of the above bodies and lucky 13 type blanks. The bulk of supplies were Herter's brand, However, I have a 1967 Herters cataloge and there is no mention of either style of lure. They might be Herters of earlier vintage.

floats maybe , but they have glue on the peg and inside at the end of the peg . the pegs arent tapered as i belive floats would be . But hey maybe the guy running the tapered peg machine messed up and drilled them non tapered so they had to make them lure bodies , I have made a "few" error induced design changes due to a lil boo boo :)

KcDano - you collect the lure bodies also ? I have a bunch of Herters bodies as well , they did put out alot of diffent bodies . I have a bag of plastic ones that are shaped like lil fish that are numbered 1-99

yeah I have a pile of oldies that need redone . I guess I dont really "collect" them , I just have to many and havent painted them yet . But then on the other hand i can never use the last few of a body style that i have bought a bunch of , so I guess i should just come out and admit that i do collect them . :) I have a professional plating machine also which I can replate the hardware . .those bodies above are making some real cools little lures so far .

Funny Farm! Just from toying around with the same type of creation > could it be for the same reasons >>> Hollowed out to get the lure to be extra buoyant since hardwood likes to sink below the center and this will allow the builder to choose heavyer wood . The Fill >> I've made my own fittings with glue and saw dust. Might be a fill made from other wood dust.This would fit perfect without sizeing up or special cut. Just a thought!.