Markell

Learn from my mistake!

Hot lead is not something to take chances with! I had my 20lb pot 3/4 full and placed a 2 lb ingot in the pot. The ingot must have been cold. It started to boil and BAM! The pot exploded. I have never had this happen before. I am recovering from a torn tendon in my leg and was not able to get out of the way. My entire bench was covered in lead. Not a drop hit me. I was lucky. If you are new to pouring lead or are like I was and begin to take chances, please be carefull. This was a wake up call for me and I hope that this post makes you guys think about safety when working with lead. Never sit down in front of the pot when pouring. You need to be able to move quickly. Always wear long sleeves and gloves. eye protection is a good idea and never get any moisture around the pot. And my new rule... never put a cold ingot into a already melted pot when it is already full enough!

It is not worth it. Be carefull.

Glad to hear your okay.

That happens more than you think. I've had it happen 3-4 times over the years. When I was teaching my brother to pour I kept telling him to wear safety glasses, being in his early 20's he thought I was FOS until some sweat dripped on an ingot and it exploded.

Scares the @#% out of ya...

Markell,

Thanks to quick reflexes, eh................

No harm, no foul.

Anyone who has poured lead for any length of time can recount similar experiences........I have a few, and they have left scars and some lessons learned, too.

Be careful...hot lead plays no favorites, and will leave life-long reminders of momentary lapses of reason.

Regards

Jigmaster

www.daimonlures.com

Tally,

There are always some weird things with lead.

I have a pile of bars out side right now, amnd I would not put them in the pot for at least a week of sitting in side.

For some reason this pile sizzle even the day after they were cleaned.

Never had that happen, after slagging and making bars.

But every one has it happen, even after they sit in front of a heater vent in the house for a day.

These are wheel weights.

Wheel weights are particularly bad about blowing up if they havent been melted outside first. I had some blow up on me once and thats when i learned to first premelt them outside. Even if lead has been melted once after you got it you still need to melt it again if it sits anywhere moisture can possibly get to it. I wont even allow a closed bottle of pop or water in the same room with me when im casting jigs.

Ill tell you about a close call i once had. I was walking across the yard with about ten pounds of melted lead in a cast iron pot. All of a sudden i felt rain drops on the back of my neck and there was hardly a cloud in the sky. I didnt know where the rain was coming from. I should have thrown it but i just froze up and stood there......HORRIFIED......i didnt know what to do. I cant figure out how but none got into the lead or it would have eat me up. After that incident i always make it a point to premelt underneath a shed.