Sign in to follow this  
woodsac

Blade Tension

8 posts in this topic

woodsac    0

Anybody have a rule of thumb on bandsaw blade tension?

All that the book says is to tighten it until you can't move the blade side to side more then 1/8" by hand. That seems loose. The blade seems like it wants to bog down and twist when I'm making the cuts.

out2llunge    0

One of the biggest mistakes most people make when adjusting blade tension is that they ignore the lower guides. That said, when I adjust the tension I insert a slip of paper (fold it once or twice) or a matchbook cover between the blade and the guide. You can also use feeler gauges if you have them. Adjust both the upper AND lower guides (below the table) to the same settings.

Also, the real blade tension must be adjusted using the tensioning knob that's usually located on the top of the saw. For that setting, I usually make it fairly tight, but with some minimal lateral movement.

Lastly, don't forget to adjust the tracking of the blade. If all of those settings have been made the saw should perform much better.

woodsac    0

I've adjusted everything mentioned. But I think that's part of the problem. I read several articles that said to use a small spacer with the guides.

One of the biggest mistakes most people make when adjusting blade tension is that they ignore the lower guides. That said, when I adjust the tension I insert a slip of paper (fold it once or twice) or a matchbook cover between the blade and the guide

My manual says to adjust the guides until they are barely touching the blade :huh: And leave the rear roller guide 1/32" away (I think). See what I'm saying, it says to leave about a paper width (folded) in the rear but not on the side guides?

out2llunge    0

Sorry, I forgot about those rear rollers too! I would adjust everything so that a piece of paper barely fits between including the rollers and side guides. Have you tried adjusting the tracking? You might need to readjust rollers and guides after.

woodsac    0

Actually, I had to adjust the tracking. I tightened the tension so much, that when I went to turn it by hand, the blade popped off :oops:

So I started from scratch and adjusted everything. I'll try what you recommended tonight. Thanks!