GruntHead

Can't seem to get the bait drilled accuratly/help

I am still really green when it comes to this lure making stuff and am having a hard time finding the exact center of the bait on both ends.I know the belly hooks will be fun to line up as well.Any suggestions?I do have a drill press so wondering about making a jig of some sort but figured I might save some time and money by asking you guys.Thanks in advance!

I use a scratch awl to put a starter hole in the center or wherever I plan to drill. this prevents the bit from wandering around. Also I find it easier to move the table off to the side, hold the bait in my hand, and feed it into the bit rather than pulling the bit into the bait as you normally would with a drill press.

Made a jig from styrofoam and use a drill press. Just sort of pressed the nose of the bait into it, after cutting a slit with a blade. With brass wire and epoxy, some of the fretting about in and out is really not as necessary as you might expect. I drill a lot of holes from the front and back, as you will widen the area where they meet when making your belly weight cavity. My balsa baits in the gallery were done this way.