Tom S

E-tex\bad batch?

Does E-tex have a shelf life,meaning does it go bad after a while?With the stuff I have now, no matter how precise I measure it out,and how much I mix it,the stuff will not cure at all.I am beginning to wonder if they put resin in the hardener bottle as a joke. :censored: The last couple of lures I did ,I had to wipe the stuff off and start over.That was not cool. Thanks in advance.

Tom

I got a bad batch of flex coat awhile back , did the same thing . I havent had that problem with etex , but it could be . Are you sure you used 1:1 of each ? Yeah I have done that before , had a batch not set up and look at my bottles and notice the one was way less than the other one . I dont know why I just admited that .

Thanks for all the replies!The hardener is not amber,it is less clear than the resin,but not much.I did measure it out with a medical syringe,and added 15% more of the hardener.I waited maybe 7 minutes before applying.This last batch did solidify after 30 hours,but is not near as hard as it should be.How much more hardener should I use to be safe.This stuff has way more pot life than I need,and I would rather waste hardener than deal with sticky baits.Maybe if I get them sticky enough I wont need hooks! :lol: Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

There should be a yellow/amber color to the hardner.

It should be real easy to tell them a part.

If this is a new purchase I would take it back, and get it exchanged.

You really never need to add more hardner than 50/50.

You will just be wasting hardner, and could make the finish

not as strong as it could be.

Did it react during the mixing, turning cloudy and white?

Can you take a picture to post of the two bottles side by side?

But it still sounds as if your hardner is not a good batch.

Those are the correct bottle and letter colors.

But the colors of the liquids should be clear=resin, amber=hardner.

You should be able to tell the differance between the two at 50 paces, by the color.

Take it back.

Ask to exchange it.

Or contact the company for replacement.

Thinking your harder is not correct.

thanks to all for the help! The last batch did in fact harden after a couple of days.I guess I need more patience! I have not done a batch since summer,so maybe the different temp. and humidity slowed it down?I was at the Chicago Muskie show yesterday,and a lure maker told me to use the 2 cup mixing method,where you start mixing in one cup then pour into a second cup.I guess this keeps any unmixed resin on the bottom and sides from causing problems.Is this necesary?I will try to post a picture of one of my crank baits, if I can figure it out.

Tom

I haven't used the stuff in a while but from memory you probably had the problem because it wasn't mixed enough. Mix with a round stick, don't use popsicle sticks as they aspirate moisture and air in the mix. Also with epoxies you do NOT want to use extra hardener, epoxies require equal amounts of resin and hardener, adding more hardener is not going to do anything because that's not how they work. It will also cause drying problems too. If you think you mixed it enough then mix it some more. Stuff is picky to get mixed right. The 2 cup method is a good idea but make sure it's still mixed properly. Every time I hear of drying problems it's usually due to insufficient mixing. Been there done that....stinks when you coat a beautiful lure and it doesn't cure.. you learn quick :)

okay, I should have read this thing here first - too late for that last bait! I used e-tex and waited 2 days now. hung it in a 70+ warm room, but painted it colder. guess that was the problem. the bait is still kinda sticky, though not too bad.

help me guys, what can I do now? could I just put on a second layer or do I have to get the old stuff off? if yes, how to do without ruining the painting?

When I mix my etex I use the brush I am going to use to paint it on, ?Don?t use anything wood?. I beat it like mad for over 4min. Work it both clock and counterclockwise after every 30sec go around the sides of the cup good and switch from circular to zigzags for 30sec switch from the circles to zigzags for like 4 or 5min. This is where people go wrong, if you have ever used devcon you try not to get bubbles in it when you mix it. When I mix etex I try and see how many bubbles I can get in the mix. You are trying to turn it cloudy with a ton of bubbles. Now that is why everyone is saying you let the etex set for 10-15 minutes this allows the bubbles to come to the surface and pop. Do not put it on until it is clear again. Yes you may have to degas it, but I have never had a bait not setup doing it this way.

-Corey

I kinda consider my lf an E-tex GOD after all the little problems I had over the last year or so!

So here we go:

1. steal those little katchup cups from Mc Donalds (there free lol)

2. you can mix with what ever you want as long as its clean, and won't come apart while your mixing.

3 use old seringes( needles) with out the needle in it. use the exact ammount of hardener to resien.

4 Mix well for about 5 to 10 min on and off till it gets like honey so a little comes to a blob on the end of your mixing stick!

5 you can add glitter to the mix here this is what I some times doo (make sure the glitter is fine) and your second coat just clear it will lock in the glitter and you won't be able to feel the bumps.

6 use a fine brush "DON'T USE A STIFF BRUSH FOR COATING!" I get them for 99 cents at a hobby store. get a real good coat on the bait, if the brush is lagging while brushing the bait it means you missed a spot! then just keep going tip to tail and between this scrape your brush on you container. This will give you an even coat and not too thick and not too thin. And save's you appoxy, and your bait won't look blobby.

7 E-tex at room temp 70 degrees will take 12 hours to harden up and three days to really set up hard. you can sand between coats but i never had to do thid I just slap on the second coat.

Follow these instructions and you won't have any problems for now on. And the bait you said was still sticky just go over it with this coat and it will set up for you. It just meant your mix ratio was off too much hardener I would guess. Don't rush by putting hardener this is a labour of love and take time "JUST SET IT AND FORGET IT!" LOL that was an infomercial wasn't it the easy cooker? Anyway I hope this helps you out. if you have any more questions just PM me.

Robby.