Dink Mendez

Got an Aquarium-Let's learn the Fritts Trick

I have heard of this and personally I think it is a bunch of garbage. You need a very large stump or rock pile to do this. I know because I have tried it all in my pool. The closest bait that I have found to do this with is one of Tallys' crankbaits. You really need a slow riser to do this. You really have to concentrate and know the rise of your bait really well. You also have to know the size of the target that you are hitting and how it lies on the bottom. You definitely are not going to be able to do this with a stock bait. If you jerk the bait too hard then the bait will ricochet off to one side or the other. Once the bait makes contact with the target then the bait will move side ways. When you pull it back down then the bait hits the target in another spot. It will not hit in the exact same place as the first time. I don't know how anyone can hit the same target 5 or 6 times in a row. Especially with a boat shifting around on the surface. Standing still the best that I could do was 3 times on a brick. And I was able to watch the bait and know exactly when to pull it. But I do believe that you can do this on a good size rock or brush pile.

Skeeter

Now don't get me wrong. No one has made the money that David has with a crankbait. His skills with a crankbait cannot be desputed. He is a true tallent. Another place that he excells at is making the correct decissions at finding the fish. But my point is that there are allot of people in this little haven of Lexington and the surrouding towns that are very very good with crankbaits also. Some of the people in this area taught David how to fish these baits. Some of them have been throwing and modifying crankbaits for over 30 yrs. Quite a few of these folks dominated the Red Man tournament trail for many years and a large majority of that domination was done with crankbaits. Allot of the baits that I sell are sold to these fishermen. Three weeks ago one of my baits won a tournament on lake Norman. An 8.2 oz fish was caught by that fisherman that also won the big fish prize for the tournament.

I am not saying that David is lying by any means. I have been making, throwing, and testing crankbaits for 5 years now. I throw them 99% of the time that I am on the water throughout all of the seasons and in all kinds of weather. In testing my baits (and others) in my pool I am always trying to see if all of the stuff that I read on the subject is really possible or true. What I have said in this post is my own personal findings with many different types of crankbaits. To do what David is talking about takes a well made crankbait and a tremendous ammout of concentration. You have to know exactly where your target is and how big it is. I cannot get a crankbait to bump a small target multiple times in a pool where I can see it. I really don't think that anyone can do it 12ft. down on a normal stump where the target can't be seen. But I can do it on larger targets. I have done it on High Rock on very large stumps and larger brush and rock piles. It still took quite a number of throws to figure out the target and exactly where it is placed for me to do this. For me it takes a fair ammount of time to figure all of this out. I truely don't believe that many fishermen concentrate hard enough or spend the ammount of time that it takes to learn this properly. David and others work on their own baits and have some of the best crankbait makers in the country at their disposal here. They know what they want the crankbait to do and work many hours at getting the bait to do what they want. Very few people will invest that kind of time. Most of us that fish don't have that kind of time or truely tallented crankbait makers to help with making the baits that these guys use. We get a Saturday to go fishing and will throw whatever it takes to put some fish in the boat. I have spent many a fishless fishing trip doing nothing but experimenting. But it is how you learn. With all of this said....... all of you "crankbait fishermen" out there head out to the lake, locate a stump and make your crankbait bang that stump 5 or 6 times in a row by letting it back up and pulling it back down into the stump. You won't find it so easy to do. If you can make it happen consistantly along with putting bigger than average fish in the boat, then you need to throw down your entry fees for a Bassmaster Open in the summer and go make some money.

Skeeter

Skeeter I agree with ya 100 % In my post I said Fritts and nothing about the avg. fisherman there is no doubt they locate fish better than the avg guy there is no replacement for time on the water and they (pros) got it. Also there is no doubt that region of the country turns out some of the best crankers in the biz(the carolina crankers) with Fritts,Beck,Wright and the list goes on.No one has ever dominated the old Redman tourny trail the way Fritts did even to date with the BFL'S. But fishin a crank is also like building them the majority of guys who come to this site to learn to build dont give up so hopefully when it comes time to fish them they dont give up either its all a learning process, be you avg or pro.Everybody starts somewhere even the Carolina Crankers

I believe that many of the "crankbait pros" throw stock crankbaits when they are practicing and hunting for the fish. You can loose allot of crankbaits (especially if you don't have a plug knocker) scouting new water and lakes. But once the fish are found and they determine that the crankbait is the way to go, then those special plugs come out when it is money time. If you get out there and really use a crankbait for a good period of time then eventually you will hit the jackpot and load the boat with a real good days catch. After that if you continue to throw them you will want a bait to do certain things. You feel that if the bait would "just do this" then your catch would increase. So you go back to the shop and make a bait that will do those things. It is that way with just about any bait. You add weights to spinnerbaits, trim the pork on jigs, and dye the tails of plastics. It is no different with crankbaits. The ones that are modified or built by hand that do what you need and get the fish in the boat are the special plugs. Just like Dink is trying to do now.

Skeeter

Right on Skeet!!! The one crank that'll do what we want it to do.

That's part of the attraction in making your own lure. Go fishing, find out you need that crank in a certain shape/action/depth and do that little bit more that store boughts cannot do. You get to your drawing board & come up with that crank that u need. This is how some of my lures come about. And next time you're in that same situation, wham the fishes are slamming your new baby. Nothing beats that. :D

We are always chasing that one crank to rule them all :rolleyes: But we can never do them all :wink::P Like an old saying, "It's the journey, not the destination..." :D