woodsac

Swimbait

OK, I'm done with my 1st hard bait. I put a photo in the gallery.

Boy do I have a lot to learn about wood 8O

It's nothing like my original design. My original design was a lot more complicated. It consisted of 2 joints and a different joint connection that was going to be a lot more complicated. I thought I should try something a little easier to start with.

Nobody told me how hard cutting the angle was going to be :| I couldn't cut it, or the lip slot, or drill the holes before I started, because that was the very 1st piece of wood I've ever turned down on a lathe. I practiced with a couple round dowels, but the square wood had a different learning curve. I didn't know how to measure for all the pre-cuts and drilling, cause I didn't know where the head and tail would start on the wood :oops:

It was definately a learning experience! It was supposed to be 9" long, but I had to make a few...let's call them adjustments, :rolleyes: along the way. After I made the adjustments, it made the bait shorter, which ultimately off-centered my pre-drilled holes :censored:

Lost a little paint around the nose when I was taking the tape off of the lip...lesson learned

It's a big bait, ran out of devcon before the whole bait was covered...had to mix up some more...lesson learned

Figure out the order the paint needs to be applied before you apply it...lesson learned

Give the paint lots of time to cure in between coats...lesson learned

But with all that said and done, I like it and I'm gonna make more :!: :!: I haven't got to fish the bait yet, but it sits perfectly straight in the water with about 1/2 to 1/3 resting above water.

Novel, I know. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help along the way!!!!!! You guys made this possible for me.

Hey Woodsac,

No need to be embarassed about that lure or the mistakes made, that baby looks nice for a first bait!!! The fact that you tried a new lure speaks highly of you. Don't think for one minute that anyone can read the TU post and create a lure on the first try, or least I couldn't and I didn't. Now that you have "lessons learned", make another and apply the lessons. Soon you will be cutting, drilling, turning and everything will line up just the way you had it drawn out. Good luck and keep posting them photos.

Tally

Thanks guys. I'm working on another one right now. :D

The tail is from an 8" Megabait Charlie. I did think about using a tail off of a Castaic though. I actually cut the tail off of the Charlie, made some adjustments and molded it. I poured the tail in the picture out of my own mold.

I was concerned about the weight and balance issue. As it is, it sits about 1/2 way submerged in the water and perfectly straight. I think a lot of that has to do with the size of the hardware and the weight of the tail.