LaPala

D Vs E; Locked :( - maybe a new compund is out there...

I was kinda expecting maybe some new sealing coat formulas or methodlogy might come out of these Devcon::Etex discussions. As the advance in tecnology shows we're not short of "epoxies". Bartop stuff, marine resins, compound polymers, pressure cure epoxies....,epoxy + UV inhibitor coat.... it's endless maybe someone has tried something not tried and tested. I'd like to hope someting comes up that fufills the stringent requirements of an "undestructable" top-coat :D.

I'm reposting this link here:http://www.epoxyproducts.com/ maybe somthing can come out of these info found here. If I find something after reading all the stuff there, I'll post.

LaPala I hope that TU members continue to explore the possibilities of different epoxies. But unfortunately, the issue of 'which epoxie is better' has to come to an end.

Discussion is fine. But the continuous arguing about epoxy vs. e-tex does not have a place in the forum. It's nothing more than preference. Some prefer one over the other. End of story.

If you find an epoxy with suitable qualities for our trade, please share your findings? Perhaps you'll discover a new trate with one of the already mentioned materials? Please post that information as well.

In the meantime, I hope everyone takes the time to read this, because the pointless argument will no longer be allowed on the boards. All of the pro's and con's of both materials have been discussed multiple times. Until there is a new development or new information about an existing product that hasn't been shared, please advise the 'newbies' who ask the question to search the database to find the information they seek. I hope everyone understands the logic behind this? Thanks

Woodsac....the Devcon vs Etex issue has been on this board since the day it started. However, I don't ever remember it being "abrasive", it's just good ole fun. I like to tease some here about using Devcon and they in return tease myself and others back. I sincerely doubt that anyone here has hard feelings about someone else because of the "clearcoat they choose", lol.

I have never seen it be an "argument" and in fact I have seen it lead to some very good discussions. So long as people aren't being "rude" to one another what does it hurt? The devcon/etex issue just adds some "personality" to the forum that is all.

Lapala,

I do think there is probably a "better" topcoat out there and I am surprised someone hasn't announced it yet in this forum. I've said it before.....I know of at least one builder that uses something else that is dry in 4 hours and is rock hard...he won't tell me what it is. In fact he just had a lure come back to him...the bait had been underwater a solid year and after cleaning off all the slime it was a clear as the day it left his shop. Lets keep looking.

Jed

Jed,

There was a post that went out of controll in a heated argument about a year and a half ago that was locked and eventually deleted by Jerry.

There were some hurtfull things said and Jake is trying to let old wounds heal and keep duplicated discussions off the database. Duplicated subject matter makes the search function nearly useless. Members who do a search on topcoat, etex or devcon will have 4 months worth of reading ahead of them but it's the same information repeated at least once a month.

We should keep looking for better methods however posting the repetetive question "etex vs. devcon" or anything like that isn't helping TU databases or members doing searches.

Shawn

So long as people aren't being "rude" to one another what does it hurt?

That's the problem right there Jed. Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you wanna see it, not everone has maintained a positive outlook. There have been negative posts removed within the threads and those individuals have been contacted. That is why there hasn't been an argument.

Rule #18:

Do not ask "what's best" because this question cannot be answered objectively. Each and everyone has their own view about what's best in a certain area. The best is what works best for you!

This is usually the end result of everyone of these discussions. It is each person repeating what they have stated in the past, in regards to why they feel each is the best. As long as the threads stay informative, no problem. But once they return to repetetive opinions, that is only wasting space.

Well I guess maybe some see it as an "argument", I see it as "discussion" and that is what this forum is about. So far as as "repetition" is concerned, what isn't repeated? You can probably find a hundred posts on how to weight cranks, cut out crank bills, paint choice, airbrush types, it goes on and on. Are we going to start censoring posts about each of these subjects next? This is how we learn, particularly newcomers to the site. I visit this site because I enjoy the people here and the topics but anymore I rarely see something "new", it's all been discussed over and over again, devcon and etex is no different. It should be left to the individual to read each of the posts and then decide which method he feels will work best for him.

I think I visit this site as much as anyone and since the day it started I can only remember one or two times where things were a "bit abrasive". I suggest that when this occurs you delete the post rather than "ban" a subject.

This isn't my site but it's my feeling that so long as people are not rude to one another let the discussion flow.

Jed

I kinda agree with Jed on the discussion bit. As far as discussions goes people can sometimes get a bit emotional cause they feel strongly about something; it's not BAD. When sparks start flying a bit as long as the fire department is around I don't see it get out of hand. :D

I'm still quite new here so I've not witness the "Epoxy Wars" but there is an under-current of that when issues of this nature are brought up. Kinda tongue in cheek but I believe all receive it with a chuckle. I've learned new things about epoxies in these discussions so it can't be all bad. We pick up stuff & bouncing ideas of each other does sometimes bring new outlook to a "stale" subject.

Like Jed said, "I do think there is probably a "better" topcoat out there......" So I'll be waiting & mean while keep experimenting :D I'll definately post if I find something. Well Flats suggested perma-gloss, and there is the smooth-on that ArtBrush used for casting lips which needs to be pressure cured but it's definately in my list of "to tries" when I get to it.

Cheers. And I plea for the "discussions" to continue.

One thing I am experimenting with right now is frosting paint for glass. I got some at Wal-Mart the other day because a guy in my fishing club wants a bait without all the gloss but not matte finish. The color isn't one I would worry about yellowing or fading, since the base color is a subdued orange. The package says it is dishwasher proof and heat proof to 350 deg. I did a test lure the other day and the stuff is hard, I can't knick it.

More to follow one this........