Haebar

Jig hooks

Hi,

Where's the best place(s) to get jig hooks in quantity?

What're the advantages of going with the 575 gold hooks, if any?

The mold description says use 570 or 575 hooks. Is this a model owned exclusively by Eagle Claw? Do other manufacturers have the same hook only with a different model number? I don't have anything against Eagle Claw, just want to explore all possibilities.

Thanks,

The 570 and the 575 are the same hook except the 575 is gold plated. The gold hook is usually used for shad darts and some crappie jigs. There are probably other uses but I am not aware of them. Both hooks are an Aberdeen style hook. I believe Mustad also makes equivalent hooks and Gamakatsu makes an Aberdeen hook that will fit the Do-It mold, but I don't think they have one in gold plated, but; not sure. Also sometimesyou can modify the mold with a dremel if needed to accomodate other hooks. Keep in mind that Do-It sells Eagle Claw and Mustad Hooks so they will recommend those hooks for their molds. Hope I have been able to help. Pop

Mustad's equivalent to the Eagle Claw 570 is a 32760, and to the 575 is a 32762. Eagle Claw makes the 570 & 575 both in a Lazer Sharp version with the prefix" L"570, & "L"575.

Mustad also makes two other Aberdeen hooks, 32755 (gold), & 32756 (bronze), the differences being the shank lengths.

Mustad also has their Ultra Point series, 32746BR, which is a bronze hook, & 32746 BLN which is a black nickel finished hook.

Gamakatsu, has their version, model #114, and a heavier wire version model # 604, both come in black nickel.

Owner also makes an Aberdeen hook, model # 5318, which also has a black nickel finish.

All of these are 90 degree bend hooks & should fit most molds requiring Aberdeen hooks, except the heavy wire hooks will only fit some applications.

There are other hooks available, such as those with 60 degree bends, and some of the hooks I listed may come in other finishes.

For Quantities, check Jann's Netcraft, Barlow's Tackle, & Stamina Quality Components. There are links to these in the web links section.