JustDave45

More Chrome questions...

Hello all, I just recently found this forum and am very excited about it. I just started airbrushing cranks last year and have had some good results (caught fish with 'em) I have been reading alot of previous posts on here about chrome finishes, I was getting ready to order the chrome paint from alsacorp before I found all this info. I couldnt find any posts here about anyone who has already tried it, it is pricey so I would like to know if anyone here has tried it before I order it. I am also curious to try for myself and see some more examples of 'foiling' that I am reading about here. What I am trying to acheive is a chrome finish like came on Rebel's WEE-R, they made one with a blue back and one with a black back, this stuff from Alsacorp is new and expensive so what has Rebel used for all these years ? Sorry for all the rambling, I look forward to your replies and I am gonna get back to reading this great resource....

JD4, save your money and invest some time in the Foil method. You will be pleased with the result. As far as Rebel and their finish, I am not sure. I have used just about every chrome paint known to man, and I always go back to the foil.

Hope this helps.

There are TONS of information on this site, Just go to TU Search, Forums, and Hard Bait Forum.

Welcome aboard to the TU family.

I use a Tripple Plating System that Caswell makes.I dont believe that this particular one related to the link will work.I have chromed some plugs with great results in the past.I dont anymore simply because other methods of painting get me by.

Chrome plating can only be done through electrolosis.Wood and Plastic has to be made conductive in order for the process to work.Wood and plastic would have to go through a special copper bath in order to make it conductive so it can accept the transfer of chrome and nichol.

It is a process widely used by all the major lure mfgr's.

Like the paint you described JD,the equipment is exspensive to get set up to plate.The first kit I purchased from caswell was $490.00 and the rectifier was only powerfull enough to plate about 25 square inches.

I tripple plate alot of wirebaits and blades with the set up I have.I am very satisfied with it but dont care to use it on hardbaits.Unfortunatly the high priced chrome paint is the only other option besides foiling.

Maybe someone would go in with you to purchase the paint you are looking at.The two of you can split it up.It goes a long way and should last a long time.B&B

Gentlemen, don't waste your time and effort on above mentioned plating. They have sprayable chrome finishes on the market now that will blow your mind. Heres a website that comes to for you all to check out. www.alsacorp.com . Product is called Mirra Chrome and you don't need special spraying equipment to use. There are many others out there also. Type in sprayable chrome finishes on google and you'll see many options. There expensive but a quart will paint alot of lures .

Applied Devcon 2 ton to the rest today, no problems, chrome paint held up fine. Apparently the solvent based clearcoat disolves the chrome finish, the devcon does not. I also tried a vinyl clearcoat and it damaged the chrome as well. Well that leaves Devcon 2 ton epoxy as the finish coat of choice for chrome painted jigs. At least when using Krylon chrome paint.

My next batch of lead trolling heads will be painted with brass krylon, and I'll try a few different topcoats as well. :D

Applied Devcon 2 ton to the rest today' date=' no problems, chrome paint held up fine. Apparently the solvent based clearcoat disolves the chrome finish, the devcon does not. I also tried a vinyl clearcoat and it damaged the chrome as well. Well that leaves Devcon 2 ton epoxy as the finish coat of choice for chrome painted jigs. At least when using Krylon chrome paint.

My next batch of lead trolling heads will be painted with brass krylon, and I'll try a few different topcoats as well. :D[/quote']

Thanks for the info.