Skeeter

Spraying Lacquer

Not long ago I sprayed my first bait in lacquers. I like the way they spray. I was spraying a coat of white pearl on a bait and I noticed thin strings kinda floating through the air from the paint. No, I wasn't doing drugs. Is this normal with pearl paints? I didn't thin the paint. It sprayed just fine and accurately without thinning. Should I have thinned it?

Skeeter

Skeeter, what brand laquers are you spraying? I used to have a friend of mine paint all of my spinnerbait heads for me and he sprayed laquer, since he moved away in november I have been painting my own. Glad I did since getting more info on painting them is what first drew me to the other site and eventually led me here. I have only been using acrylics from createx and testors, but recently purchased an airbrush booth with an external fan so now I can use laquers without the room exploding into flames, god I hate when that happens!!

I am using some Testors lacquer that is used for RC Cars. The pearl colors you really don't have to thin. Other colors you do. Otherwise you can get overspray or real light splattering. I shoot it at 24 psi. It is a little expensive ( about 2.80 for 3/4 oz.) but it goes a long way. I can spray about 15 to 20 DBIII size baits with that amount. I thin and clean up with acetone.

Skeeter

Skeeter, those strings you saw was the paint drying before it reaches the bait. Lacquer is tricky until you use it a while. You need to add retarder to the paint in humid weather. This keeps it from drying on the airbrush tip. Also the thinner you use has a bearing on how fast it dries. Regular lacquer thinner will not dry as fast as Zylene which is a hotter thinner. As for lacquer paint, I use a lot of taxidermy paint which is quite reasonably priced and they have 100's of colors to choose from. Once you get use to lacquer, you will love it!

Fat Ratz,

Thanks much. I am not using any thinner with it. Normally I use acetone as a thinner. I know that this is the hottest of the thinners. I find that with translucents and with most pearlized paints that I don't have to thin it.

I like to do that if I can. It dries quick and coats well. The strings don't bother the finish of the lure, it just blew my mind when I saw all of that stuff floating around. I thought that it might be what you said but I never thought it would be that much. It looked like someone sneezed into a pile of dust. I am wanting to spray that translucent yellow that you gave me.

It is taxidermy paint. If I spray another lacquer color on top of it, will the yellow bleed through the color over the top of it?

Skeeter

It will to a certain degree as long as the paint you are spraying is also translucent. Once you spray it you can not cover it up with other translucent paints, only solid colors. I get better effects spraying translucents over a solid color like pearl white. When you spray the chartreuse it will normally dry flat but will jump to life after you clearcoat it.

That is correct. As long as you are spraying a non-translucent over another color it will not bleed thru. I have found that the metallic blue I use (translucent) sprayed over a chartreuse back will turn a unique turquoise color. I have found some interesting effects by experimenting.