Finneous Fogg

My first successful crankbait pattern

F-Fogg Very nice job. Not running your business but I would stay after it and try to get the eye dotting nailed down.You obviously have the talent.That's such a first class paint job I would hate to see you put 3d stick on eyes on it.I paint alot of those baits and it seems that the 3d stick on eyes take away from the bait unless there is a recess in the body to accept them.Awesome job dude :!: :!: :!:

Post that rascal in the hardbaits photo section for everyone to enjoy :!: :!:

B&B

Thanks guys.

I went with all the dots because honestly, they're easier to paint than stripes and such. I wanted to stay away from masks as much as possible to reduce production time. But I doubt that'll be possible until I develop a more steady hand. I want to create a series of craw patterns since I actually have better luck with them instead of shad patterns. Plus, every manufacturer already sells shad patterns and sells 'em for cheaper than I can.

Mostly I just want some patterns that are unique and original. If only I could find a good wood worker to make original, fat bodied crankbait bodies, ready to paint. I don't own a bandsaw, lathe, etc.

Is there such thing as wooden blanks for sale anywhere?

... I would hate to see you put 3d stick on eyes on it.I paint alot of those baits and it seems that the 3d stick on eyes take away from the bait unless there is a recess in the body to accept them. ...

Thanks for the high praise. I appreciate it. My business is just an acorn trying damn hard to sprout into an oak. It's hard to stay positive when there's no money coming in.

Hmmm... I always thought 3D eyes would be a nice touch. I agree totally with the idea of recessing the body to accept them. My benefactor and I were discussing just that very idea last night. B)

(I did forget to add a red gill to the bait though. I got ahead of myself. Oops!)

Hey Finn, both Jann's Netcraft and Stamina sell basswood lure bodies. along with many other lure components. There are also a lot of lures that are simple to make with a minimum of tools. Balsa is readily available in most hobby shops and is easily worked with a craft knife and various grades of sandpaper. You can purchase various hobby woods in home stores such as Home Depot and wood-worker stores, in different shapes and sizes that will get you close to blank size with a minimum of hand sawing. A dremel-type tool and a carbide burr is a valuable tool for shaping lure bodies. Poplar dowels in various diameters are also available at HD. You can get waist deep in lure bodies very quickly with a small bench vise, a Dremel, a drill, a cheap mitre box & backsaw a coping saw your imagination, and Tackleundergound! Make some wood chips!

Dean