woodsac

Joint Question

Well I made another swimbait. This time I tried to do something different with the joints. I wanted a tight wobble, so I used 2 joints. Since I was using 2 joints, I didn't want to use the eyescrews. Even after countersinking them, they leave too big of a gap in between the pieces.

The middle piece worked perfect. The problem is with the back piece. I cut it just like I was cutting the middle piece, but since the piece is so short, the slots for the eyescrews are huge! It defeats the whole purpose.

Here's the ?...How can I cut some type of slot back there without having to make the cut all the way to the outside of the bait? I just need something big enough for the head of the eyescrew to fit in and be able to swing back and forth a little bit.

If you look at the back of the bait you'll see what I mean. You can see the space inbetween the slots. I got the piece to fit nice and snug to the piece infront of it, but the slots kind of ruined it by letting all that light in.

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

2joints.jpg

1279_thumb.attach

Without buying anything new, you could drill out holes the diameter you need, then square them off using a small chisel or exacto knife.

If you want a one shot operation, you could purchase a mortising bit (I think thats what it's called). It's a hollow squared shaped tube with a drill inside. You use it in a drill press, and it will cut a square hole.......cut a few side by side, and you get a slot.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Personaly, I would layout the slots you want using a pen or a pencil and use a pencil grinder, or a Dremel tool with a 18" cutter or burr to hand cut the slots out.With a steady hand and layed out guide line you can do this and it will look good.Go slow and make small cuts!

Tom

Woodsac,

If it was me I would leave it, it is a good-looking bait. Or I see two things you can do. Cover it up after with wood filler or us a Dremel tool Like Tom said. If I were to use the Dremel I would use the bit that the head was in the shape of a V. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289327

Good luck. I like the bait.

-Corey Karren

Thanks for the advice guys!

I used the dremel to make some touch ups in the grooves. Never even thought about using it to make the cuts! :oops:

I have that same bit Corey! I'll remember that next time...I hope :rolleyes:

I really enjoy turning wood and working on it guys! Thanks for all the help :!:

Jeds right about being a perfectionist, I would want to get rid of that slot too if I can :D

I don't know how you're doing your joints but offhand here's my suggestion: reverse the orientation of your joint configuration so it's moving in the front piece which shold hide it and see if it's feasible to drill top down for access to work on the joints, just plug the hole later if you're going for the perfectionist look.