CNNEMusky

Cutting lip slots

I'm just getting started making some musky lures and I'm trying to cut some lips out of lexan to "play around". My question is, what are the tricks for cutting the slot in the wood so that the lexan fits tight? Do I need to find a thinner blade or find thicker lexan? I did a search and wasn't able to come up with a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Draw the outline of your bait on the wood. Draw the lines for the lip slot. Cut the lip slot out on a jig saw or band saw. Then cut out the outline of your bait. This will ensure that the lip slot is square. Cut the slot about 1/2 inch deep. The slot does not have to be skin tight in the slot. When you glue the lip in use Devcon 5 minute epoxy.

Skeeter

Hi,

usually I get my lip slots (for the wooden bodies) done with a jig saw before painting and final coating. In this stage, the slot is slightly larger than the bib, but after painting and coating, this problem is solved and the bib fits just perfect.

As I am using polystirene + thinner as a final coating and polycarbonate for the bib, I glue it into the pluc with one part special plastic glue, called Bison Plastic. I am from Romania, don't know if Bison is available on US market.

Kind Regards from Romania

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that if I cut the lip slot and then primed and painted, it would probably be pretty snug. I looked at the tutorials from the How-to section. I'm thinking these are the steps:

1. Trace Pattern

2. Cut slot to ensure it is square to the bait.

3. Drill holes for hardware

4. Add weights if needed

4. Prime

5. Paint

6. Attach lip

7. Topcoat

8. Add hardware

9. Catch 50" Musky

Last step may take a while. Is that pretty much the sequence? Thanks in advance for the advice. I can see how this can be addicting!!