Bassman10101

ultra fine airbrush spray

I have a question about ultra fine airbrush spray. Like when you?re fading from dark to light on the top of a crank bait. I can?t seem to do this well at all. I have only been successful 3 or 4 times. Now guys I can fade/blend colors. What I need help with is spraying the paint where you can?t see the paint spray dots at all. I have tried thinning the paint more, lowering and raising the pressure, and a few other things. I shoot both the Badger 155 Anthem & a Paasche VL. I use Createx and several other water base paints. I hope this is enough information.

Thanks,

Bassman10101

I spray at 30 psi which should be enough but you can notch it up a bit if you want. You shouldn't have too though. What I've discovered spraying my baits and canes is that different paints work better in different airbrushes. In my Paasche VL the Golden airbrush colors work best. The pigment is finer but more saturated and in a lower viscosity. I imagine it would be the same for other internal mix airbrushes.

With my Paasche AB, which is the one with the turbine driven needle, the heavier Createx paints work better.

I guess what I would do is try changing the needle and cone to a smaller size, and spraying the Golden paints. If you don't want to buy more paints, mix the Createx with a tiny bit of neutral airbrush medium then strain it through ultra-sheer panty hose.

Good luck.

Well guys I didn?t like the Paasche VL so I don?t use it anymore. Don?t take this the wrong way but I gave it away. I know everyone has different preferences. Mine just happens to be the Badger. I shoot it from 20-25psi. I have been using the Createx regular airbrush paints along with some of the cheep Wall mart paints. The paint may be most of my problem. I?m going to try to find a place around my house (Canton Georgia area) that carries more paints. If I knew anywhere even in Metro Atlanta area I would go there.

Regardless of the brush, shoot at the pressure you need to, even if it does not match the recommended psi. If you get the results you want (like cranking down for splatterbacks, and WAY up for fades and blending) and not hurting the brush then do it. With Createx a fairly high psi seems to help, along with properly thinned paint. Much better to blend in several coats than in one or two thicker coats. For side color to belly, or back to side blends I like to run two brushes (yes, VL or Milennium), one with each color. Use both to shoot and blend the colors rather than expecting to use just one color and get the correct result.

Createx works fine. Just need to "tweak" it. Quality of effect will vary greatly with the viscosity, opacity, etc. Can be as basic as adding water, or as complicated as using precise ratios of extender:water:paint, dpending on how you want to go about it. Nothing like practice either.

Hey Skeeter...I finally figured out how to add an avatar. Only took two years LMAO. Guess I am getting smarter (or something).

I have a badger 155. For blending over other colors I use a 1 to 1 ratio of water and paint...comes out like a mist.

I need an airbrush for fine detail work, they say you can make a hair line or pencil thin line with mine...but I'd love to see somebody do it....know what I mean?

Wonder if you can buy finer cones and needles than what your airbrush calls for? Anybody know?

Oh, I use Createx airbrush paints.

:)

You can get lines, dots, spots, etc that are that fine. Have to play with all of the adjustments, the viscosity of the paint, and dial in the right psi. Except for the size 5 VL assembly, you should be able to do it with any tip & needle size. Or you can cheat and get a Paasche V for the itty bitty stuff.

Seems to work best with fairly thick (minimally thinned or extended) paint, and lots of psi. Key is lots of psi but not releasing much paint (which is why the thicker paint helps). Also needs to be done in a quick motion, like shooting the stripes on the backs of rogues.

Createx is just such a good place to start. Really need to experiment with the various additives.